Since that general problem on skype, almost 2 months ago (when many users had problem with skype) my skype doesn't open anymore on this laptop.
I tried so far everything: task manager, renaming skype files (to skype_old), downloading skype new, updating, but nothing worked so far.
First Skype opens, then I receive a message that something is preventing skype from working properly and system has to close skype. After that skype wont open anymore. When I click on it, it opens and closes immediately afterwards.
I would appreciate your help!
05-07-2011 20:13 - edited 05-07-2011 20:18
here are some basic trouble-shooting steps that you can try if you are experiencing problems in logging in or running Skype (you may already have tried some/most of them);
1. Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.
2. Enter %appdata%\skype in the Run command (click OK), them look for and delete file named shared.xml.
3. Update your display, audio, webcam, microphone drivers or software. You can also visit the corresponding manufacturer's site to check if there is a new driver for your device.
4. Try the current Skype beta version (version 5.5). Download link pasted below
If the procedures above don't fix the issues, click Spoiler to see additional suggestions;
4. Try to temporarily disable your anti-virus or firewall software, just to check if they are affecting Skype processes in any way. Just don't browse any webpage or use any application that uses internet while your anti-virus or firewall is turned-off. Immediately reactivate them after checking/testing.
5. Do a complete uninstall then reinstall Skype. here is how to completely uninstall Skype (just back-up all important files and information that you feel is important to you)
6. Run basic computer maintenance such disk defrag, registry cleaning, disk error checking, etc - and also run a full virus scan (just to make sure that your computer is free from any virus/malware that are possibly affecting Skype performance).
If all else fails, you can consider the suggestions below;
7. Restore your computer to a point where Skype was still working.
8. Try to disable or remove add-ons or programs installed prior to the existence of the problem.
9. Try an earlier version of Skype
My skype is startig with windows, but its not working.. Then I had to go to task manager then to processes then to find skype right click on it and click on End Process Tree.. and then I can start the skype and the things are almost normal after that... That is the way I start Skype every time when I turn on my computer...