Skype wont open

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype wont open

Since that general problem on skype, almost 2 months ago (when many users had problem with skype) my skype doesn't open anymore on this laptop.

I tried so far everything: task manager, renaming skype files (to skype_old), downloading skype new, updating, but nothing worked so far.

First Skype opens, then I receive a message that something is preventing skype from working properly and system has to close skype. After that skype wont open anymore. When I click on it, it opens and closes immediately afterwards.

I would appreciate your help!

elianeroc
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (1,691 Views)

Re: Skype wont open

[ Edited ]

here are some basic trouble-shooting steps that you can try if you are experiencing problems in logging in or running Skype (you may already have tried some/most of them);

1. Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

2. Enter %appdata%\skype in the Run command (click OK), them look for and delete file named shared.xml.

3. Update your display, audio, webcam, microphone drivers or software. You can also visit the corresponding manufacturer's site to check if there is a new driver for your device.

4. Try the current Skype beta version (version 5.5).  Download link pasted below

skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/beta/

If the procedures above don't fix the issues, click Spoiler to see additional suggestions;

Spoiler

4. Try to temporarily disable your anti-virus or firewall software, just to check if they are affecting Skype processes in any way. Just don't browse any webpage or use any application that uses internet while your anti-virus or firewall is turned-off. Immediately reactivate them after checking/testing.

5. Do a complete uninstall then reinstall Skype. here is how to completely uninstall Skype (just back-up all important files and information that you feel is important to you)

-support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

6.  Run basic computer maintenance such disk defrag, registry cleaning, disk error checking, etc - and also run a full virus scan (just to make sure that your computer is free from any virus/malware that are possibly affecting Skype performance).

If all else fails, you can consider the suggestions below;

7. Restore your computer to a point where Skype was still working.

8. Try to disable or remove add-ons or programs installed prior to the existence of the problem.

9.  Try an earlier version of Skype

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1475
Message 2 of 5 (1,685 Views)

My skype is startig with windows, but its not working.. Then I had to go to task manager then to processes then to find skype right click on it and click on End Process Tree.. and then I can start the skype and the things are almost normal after that... That is the way I start Skype every time when I turn on my computer...

Didko
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 5 (1,683 Views)

If Skype doesn’t work when starting with Windows, this can be due to that some processes or drivers are not yet ready when Skype starts. In this case it’s best to remove Skype from startup and start Skype manually after Windows is fully booted.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5841
Message 4 of 5 (1,672 Views)

Yes!!!! Tks a lot!!! Finally it is working again. The problem was the compability, its not enabled now and everything is ok

Best regards and tks again!!!

elianeroc
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 5 (1,666 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling