Skype won't start up!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype won't start up!

Yesterday I had to remove Skype because it was glitching and wouldn't let me access anythign properly. So I re-installed Skype onto my compuer but now when I try to open it nothing happens. In the task manager it says that skype is running but nothing on screen is happening. Any ideas of how to fix this?

Please use plain text.
masontrieu
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (1,652 Views)

Re: Skype won't start up!

this is happening to me to.. SKYPE!! please sort this out right away!
Please use plain text.
Randomize19951
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 7 (1,250 Views)

Randomize19951 wrote:

What exactly happens when your trying to start Skype? Any error message?

You can also try to reset all Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6399
Message 3 of 7 (1,248 Views)

Randomize19951 wrote:

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed on your computer?

Try to start your Windows in "Safe mode with networking".

- repeatedly tap F8 as you boot.

Now try running Skype.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Please use plain text.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6100
Message 4 of 7 (1,241 Views)

just to make this clean its on my laptop that this is happening, i'm running avast on it for my anti virus protection. I recently just installed it, so there is no skype_old.. there technically is no error message it goes to the sign-in page but there is nothing on this page, just the exit and cancel. Thats about all
Please use plain text.
Randomize19951
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (1,222 Views)

Randomize19951 wrote:
just to make this clean its on my laptop that this is happening, i'm running avast on it for my anti virus protection. I recently just installed it, so there is no skype_old.. there technically is no error message it goes to the sign-in page but there is nothing on this page, just the exit and cancel. Thats about all

reinstall skype with this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/downloading-business

after the installation, please try to reset skype settings:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/quot-Skype-has-stopped-working-quot/m-p/980308/highlight/true#...

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Please use plain text.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6100
Message 6 of 7 (1,217 Views)

that's good information but i've already done this. I might try to disable my antivirus.. see how that goes.

Please use plain text.
Randomize19951
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 7 (1,214 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling