Skype won't show video, my webcam and other person...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype won't show video, my webcam and other persons

I'm runing Win8.1 all updates installed, on skype it wont show my webcam and i don't see other persons webcam.

On Mac i don't have this problem. and using other software to check camera it works. so it's skype problem. tried reinstalling restarting and instaling skype again same problem. 

Skype team you seriously need to get your stuff together... i've read there other people have same problem... 

So any solutions?

MariusMM
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (2,647 Views)

Re: Skype won't show video, my webcam and other persons

[ Edited ]

Make sure both parties are using the latest version of Skype.   Older clients may only be video compatible with Skype 6.1 and below.  Such as Skype Mac 2.8 to a Mac or PC running Skype 6.2 or greater.  Unfortunately in my tests, Skype 6.1 or below does not seem to function under Windows 8.1.

Some Windows 8 camera drivers do not operate correctly in the Windows 8.1 desktop mode. Have you tried installing the Windows 7 drivers for your camera to see if anything changes?

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 940
Message 2 of 7 (2,633 Views)

The problem about the parties is that, when i go to Settings > Video/Camera or something it shows blank screen. so from there i can tell that this is not because other person is using different scype and so one

About the drivers. i've used different software to test and it does show the camera, so it's skype problem... Dev's need to get their asses kick because beying so lazy to test the software properly 

MariusMM
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (2,616 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's less an issue of being lazy as a problem with compatibility.  Microsoft/Skype does not own every model of camera in existence so not every configuration in existence and be tested prior to any release.  You can supply the following information to this thread to provide information towards developing a solution.

1. Skype logs -  https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12321/how-do-i-create-log-files

This will assist the developers.  I would not be able to read the encrypted file but they can to help narrow down the problem.

2.  DirectX Diagnostic  - This would assist in adding specifics on the exact model of your computer/onboard webcam to this thread.  Others may be able to confirm issues with that particular computer/web cam model.

Please, run the DirectX diagnostics tool. Run dxdiag.exe (Start - Run or Win key +R) then press enter or click "OK". Once the diagnostics completes, "Save All information..." to a text file. Please, attach this file to your post.

Be aware that you will have to zip this file before attaching it here.

Both my onboard and external USB cameras have worked in every desktop release of Skype I have used.  The only problem I have had is camera compatibility with the app half of Windows 8.1 (Skype or any app that interfaces with the camera).  Which is probably due to driver compatibility/OS-based issues.  

Another possibility of issues could be due to Graphics drivers/video capturing software causing overlay or other compatibility issues so it may be unrelated to the webcam itself.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 7 (2,608 Views)

Before i send you log's will it have any sensative/personal information?

MariusMM
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (2,605 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Skype logs don't, they just have diagnostic information regarding the system (webcam/audio/connection, quality info etc. no actual video/audio/chat logs).  If you want to post a DirectX diagnostic log, it's in plain text and you can always edit out what you personally think is too sensitive.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 7 (2,597 Views)

@MariusMM, as techfreak said, logs would really help to see what is causing the issue. Also if you could tell what exact webcam model and drivers are you using.

Skype logs don't contain any personal information, just diagnostic information and they are encrypted so no one outside Skype can read their decrypted content.

So log files would help a lot, but if you are worried, you can try with windows 7 camera drivers as well. 

Also, does your camera work in the win 8.1 camera app?

kerojarun
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 141
Message 7 of 7 (2,531 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling