Skype won't run!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype won't run!

[ Edited ]

When I start skype it crash. The icon shows up down to the right for a while, but then it disappear. I can't even see the log in screen. I've been gone for 2 weeks, and when I came home it didn't work anymore. Had to install some windows updates when I started the PC, so thing that's were the problem is. I got windows 7 64 Bit.

This is the error message I get:

Skype has stopped working properly.

A newer version of Skype is available for download that might solve this problem. Skype Technologies SA recommends updating to the latest version of Skype to take advantage of security and stability improvements.

There is no solution other than that I have to install a newer version of skype. I've done that many times.

Screenshot of event viewer

This is what I have tried:

• I've installed the beta: skype.com/go/getskype-beta That didn't work.
  • I've run windows update and updated everything.
  • I've installed latest versions of C++ and framework.
  • I've tried older versions of skype. No success!
  • I've read this topic, but couldn't find the solution: Skype Windows technical errors [MEGATHREAD] SOLVED
  • I've removed my AVG antivirus, I've turned of the firewall. Skype didn't work. (yes, I've turned it back on). 
  • I've uinstalled skype and deleting all folders, including the hidden ones. (appdata)
  • I've tried running skype in different compatibility modes and as admin.

What else could I do?

SOLVED! I uninstalled Internet explorer 9. How to uninstall

Thanks for the help TAMIM

Kopites88
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (4,817 Views)

Re: Skype won't run!

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% >> Rename folder "Skype" to "OLD_Skype".

4. Re-run Skype

Check if the issue persists.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6516
Message 2 of 12 (4,659 Views)

Kopites88 wrote:

When I start skype it crash. The icon shows up down to the right for a while, but then it disappear. I can't even see the log in screen.

I see many people have the same problem here, and many have solved it by installing the beta: skype.com/go/getskype-beta

That didn't work for me. I've run windows update and updated everything. I've installed latest versions of C++ and framework. I've tried older versions of skype. No success!

I've read this topic, but couldn't find the solution: Skype Windows technical errors [MEGATHREAD] SOLVED

I've removed my AVG antivirus, I've turned of the firewall. Skype didn't work. (yes, I've turned it back on). I've been gone for 2 weeks, and when I came home it didn't work anymore. Had to install some windows updates when I started the PC, so thing that's were the problem is. I got windows 7 Bit.

What else could I do?

Open your Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for any error message with a timestamp coresponding to Skype crash.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7071
Message 3 of 12 (4,657 Views)

Didn't work. I have tried unistalling skype and removing all folders and files related to skype, including the hidden ones.

The error I get is:

A newer version of Skype is available for download that might solve this problem. Skype Technologies SA recommends updating to the latest version of Skype to take advantage of security and stability improvements.
Kopites88
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 12 (4,644 Views)

Kopites88 wrote:
Didn't work. I have tried unistalling skype and removing all folders and files related to skype, including the hidden ones.

The error I get is:

Try running the Skype programs in Windows XP SP3 Compatibility Mode. See if it helps.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 5 of 12 (4,635 Views)

Kopites88 wrote:

The error I get is:

You still have not provided the error message which you should see in Windows Event Viewer.

Right click on the Computer icon (or My Computer icon) and select Manage and then Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. You may see something similar to this but with a different error message:

KernelbaseError.jpg

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7071
Message 6 of 12 (4,633 Views)

That didn't help :sad: tried many compatibility modes, and as admin.
Kopites88
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (4,630 Views)

Uten navn.png

It's in norwegian, sorry

Kopites88
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (4,621 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kopites88 wrote:

Uten navn.png

It's in norwegian, sorry

Here is a MR. FixIT

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

Click the Run Now button.

Check if the issue persists.

You may need to remove and reinstall .Net Framework.

Windows 7 comes with .Net Framework pre-installed as part of the OS. So the removal steps are a little different.

Download .Net Framework Cleanup Tool to Uninstall .Net Framework From Windows 7

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/embedrowdetail.aspx/Blog%7C_Tools/dotnetfx%7C_cleanup%...

As a tip, if you are going to re-install any version of .Net, download the full redistributable (usually the link is at the bottom of MS Download page) and do not use the smaller file (bootstrapper) link which installs .net via the Internet.

Download .NET Framework: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx

Then, Update your Skype from the below link:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_5.7.0.123.msi

If still not resolves the issue, Please do a Skype reset.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 9 of 12 (4,611 Views)

same problem here, same try out of all the suggested solutions...

get the error code in the log :

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Application Error     - EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers]  0      Level 2      Task 100      Keywords 0x80000000000000     - TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2012-01-03T01:47:11.000Z      EventRecordID 65413      Channel Application      Computer PC_van_Ronald      Security  

- EventData

Skype.exe    5.5.0.124    4e96a02b    Skype.exe    5.5.0.124    4e96a02b    c0000005    001dae87    10a8    01ccc9b984426a8e

can somebody help me ??

kwintiex
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (3,322 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling