Skype won't open past blue welcome screen

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype won't open past blue welcome screen

I installed skype 5.8 on my 64 bit windows 7 pc. It has never opened past the blue screen with the skype logo and clouds along the bottom.

I've tried all of the troubleshoots suggested. I've run the jscripts, deleted the shared.xml, renamed the skype folder, installed the beta version. I've uninstalled and reinstalled skype and done them all again. 

The skype window is unresponsive and has to be quit via task manager.

Please help!

kerrytwotime
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (3,181 Views)

Re: Skype won't open past blue welcome screen

The problem is with your Internet Explorer and JavaScript.

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6279
Message 2 of 10 (3,164 Views)

I'm using explorer 8. I have enabled java scripting applets in the internet options menu. The javascript test still fails. Java plugin 1.6.something is also enabled. I can't find how to make javascript work.

kerrytwotime
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (3,158 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try these steps (originally outlined by ruwim) to repair JavaScript functioality and correct your login screen problem:

Go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on Command Prompt, select 'Run as administrator'.

The Command Prompt window should show:

C:\Windows\SysWoW64>

If this is not the case, then at the Command Prompt type: cd c:\windows\SysWoW64 and press Enter.

Once you see C:\Windows\SysWoW64>

Type this and then press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

After Enter you should receive a message saying that DllRegisterServer in XXX.dll succeeded.

Reboot your computer.

Make now the test showing if your Internet Explorer can execute JavaScript.

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE 32-bit version) this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 845
Message 4 of 10 (3,145 Views)

I have the same problem - wont open past blue welcome screen.  I have tried the response above, but didnt work.  Clicked on that button though and it said JavaScript is working.

What now....???????????

daveandlize
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 10 (3,127 Views)

daveandlize wrote:

I have the same problem - wont open past blue welcome screen.  I have tried the response above, but didnt work.  Clicked on that button though and it said JavaScript is working.

What now....???????????

Have you used Internet Explorer for doing the JavaScript test? Was it 32-bit version of IE?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 10 (3,122 Views)

When I try to register the jscript in syswow64 I get the error message 'the module was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed 0x80004005'

Other forums suggested I try the same but in windows/system32 so I tried that and the jscript succeeded. I suppose this is meaningless since my system is 64 bit?

Javascript still does not test positive on the mr ed page. However http://www.javatester.org/enabled.html this one shows that is working.

Skype is still behaving the same.

kerrytwotime
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (3,120 Views)

kerrytwotime wrote:

When I try to register the jscript in syswow64 I get the error message 'the module was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed 0x80004005'

Other forums suggested I try the same but in windows/system32 so I tried that and the jscript succeeded. I suppose this is meaningless since my system is 64 bit?

Javascript still does not test positive on the mr ed page. However http://www.javatester.org/enabled.html this one shows that is working.

Skype is still behaving the same.

Java and JavaScript are two very different things and so using javatester makes no sense.

If you are still using IE8 on a Windows 7 system, then updating your IE to the latest IE9 version may resolve the problem.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-9/worldwide-languages

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 10 (3,117 Views)

I had ie9 to begin with but switched to ie8 because I thought it might make a difference... I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks for your help.

kerrytwotime
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (3,108 Views)

Ahhh, that did it! Working fine! Thank you.

kerrytwotime
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (3,105 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling