Skype won't install

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype won't install

It keeps saying I "don't have the privelages to install the service updater" Regardless of whether or not I run it as administrator

hilcantun
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 18 (1,515 Views)

Re: Skype won't install

Try to install the business version. It does not contain the new Updater service.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/business/download/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6926
Message 2 of 18 (1,284 Views)

That DID install, however now it won't start after fully installing with the error "Exception EOSError in module Skype.exe at 0001F56D
System error. Code: 2.
The system cannot find the file specified
hilcantun
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 18 (1,279 Views)

What Windows system are you on?

Maybe your Windows registry database contains wrong data on location of user special folders. Hopefully you can fix this using the procedure provided here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 18 (1,273 Views)

Followed all of the registry files, nothing is wrong, and its Windows 7. Still getting the same error though

hilcantun
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 18 (1,265 Views)

[ Edited ]

Open Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for any recent error messages. Maybe more information will be provided there on the missing file.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 18 (1,250 Views)

A program couldn't be !@#$% up this much. Thank you Microsoft!!! I updated to the latest version of Skype (I should've known and never updated to the Microsoft built version). Now it broke and I cannot re-install it in any way!. I've tried all the methods in here, none of them works!. First I encountered Error Code 1063. I tried Skype Portable. Didn't work. I tried MSICUUI2.exe, cleaned Skype entry. Nope, same error. Then I tried to CCleaner's registry cleanup, and cleaned up thousands of Skype registry entries (that were all supposed to be long gone by 1st, uninstalling Skype from Add/Remove Programs, and then by MSICUUI2, apparently not, Skype must be the new "Spyme"). Then I tried to install a non-Microsoft old version 5.0, but looks like it wasn't old enough, this time I got lots of Code 2 errors. What's wrong with you Microsoft!!!! This was a very-simple-working-great program and now you totally #$%#ed it too!!! There are absolutely no support messages regarding to code 1063 error yet when you Google this (I'm not sure Bing displays those pages for that matter), looks like half of Skype's installation problems are Code 1063 errors. You know what must be done, Skype's installation software and support teams should all be fired!

asahin_us
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 18 (754 Views)

What exactly was the error message you have received when trying to install the Portable version? Are you sure that the error code was actually 1063 and not 1603?

What version of Windows are you on (XP, Vista, Windows 7)? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 18 (742 Views)

Hi ruwim, thanks for your answer. The error code was 1603, I still keep getting it when I try to install the public 6.2 version. Now I managed to install the business client (without updater thank god) and it's 6.3. But it too doesn't start, gives error code 2. I'm thinking about installing SysInternals' FileMonitor to see exactly what $#!$ing file it cannot find.

Using a Windows XP x64 w/SP2. No, I'm not using Internet Explorer for years (and waayy too happy about it) but it still sits there in version 8 'cuz I know well Microsoft put the most crucial parts of its operating system into IE DLLs.

asahin_us
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 18 (721 Views)

Try this "legacylogin" workaround:

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes.

Open this folder on your computer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\ 

You should see there the Skype application file (Skype.exe).  Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"

Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"  /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut. Can you now login to Skype?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 18 (713 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling