Skype won't allow me to change privacy options to ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype won't allow me to change privacy options to "only allow contacts to contact me"

I have been getting more and more junk IMs lately.  Under tools->options->privacy, I have it set to basic options.  It is currently set to "allow anyone to contact me".  I change it to "Only allow people in my contact list to contact me", then click ok.  Window closes.  If I then go back into the same screen, it is still set to "allow anyone to contact me".

Also enabled advanced options.  Get the same results using that screen.

Windows 7, latest OS and Skype updates.

Any ideas?

LTB
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (408 Views)

Re: Skype won't allow me to change privacy options to "only allow contacts to contact me"

[ Edited ]

Duh, should have searched better. It's a known bug in Skype. Type Privacy in the search box here in the forums, the fix is on the second page of the first post. 

When/if this happens this only needs to be done once:

Please right click on the Skype Icon in your system tray and change your status to "Offline" for 5 seconds and then back to "Online".

LTB
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 3 (341 Views)

Re: Skype won't allow me to change privacy options to "only allow contacts to contact me"

you should never say "latest ... Skype updates" because what you think is the latest and what actually is, may be two different things

there is also no 'OK' to click -- you must click 'Save'

what version are you running please?

do you see anything listed when you click Options > Advanced > Manage other programs' access to Skype?
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 316
Message 3 of 3 (339 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling