Skype will not open.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype will not open.

Seriously annoyed now, I have literally tried every fix there is and nothing is working.

Yesterday when installing BF3 skype randomly crashed and I got the general windows error ''Program has stopped working'', I thought nothing of it and waited for my download to finish to reload it. When i tried to reload skype I see the little load icon on my mouse, I see it open up in TastManager but then it closes without any warning or error popup.

I've tried to reinstall it, reboot, delete files, use older versions, update my windows to the most recent version, and none of it is working.

Really would appreciate some help, please.

~Luke.

Lukey2k
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 22 (451 Views)

Re: Skype will not open.

same exact problem here, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with it though !

Dansghc
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 22 (445 Views)

Likewise! Though still I would rather neither of us have this problem. So does your not load at all, when you try to open skype it just gives you the icon as it would normally be loading up, but then nothing comes up at all, though it does open in TaskManager then closes after a few seconds?
Lukey2k
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 22 (439 Views)

Lukey2k wrote:

Seriously annoyed now, I have literally tried every fix there is and nothing is working.

Yesterday when installing BF3 skype randomly crashed and I got the general windows error ''Program has stopped working'', I thought nothing of it and waited for my download to finish to reload it. When i tried to reload skype I see the little load icon on my mouse, I see it open up in TastManager but then it closes without any warning or error popup.

I've tried to reinstall it, reboot, delete files, use older versions, update my windows to the most recent version, and none of it is working.

Really would appreciate some help, please.

~Luke.

Do you have nVidia graphic card installed on your computer?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5950
Message 4 of 22 (435 Views)

I do yes, why do you ask?
Lukey2k
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 22 (431 Views)

Yes, same exact problem here, I double click on skype, it appears to load then stops, process appears in task manager then dissappears, I've also got Nvdia...

Dansghc
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 22 (421 Views)

Lukey2k wrote:

There is a known problem with the latest versions of nVidia graphic drivers which are optimised for Battlefield 3 games and Skype. See this for a possible solution:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Windows/Remedy-for-distorted-video-with-nVidia-display-adapat...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 22 (415 Views)

can anyone help me my skyp wont open

disk l/0 error

lekicbojan
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 22 (405 Views)

ruwim wrote:

Lukey2k wrote:

There is a known problem with the latest versions of nVidia graphic drivers which are optimised for Battlefield 3 games and Skype. See this for a possible solution:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Windows/Remedy-for-distorted-video-with-nVidia-display-adapat...

How does this help solve my problem at all? Are you serious?

Lukey2k
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 22 (399 Views)

Lukey2k wrote:

ruwim wrote:

Lukey2k wrote:

How does this help solve my problem at all? Are you serious?

There were several other problems reported with the latest version of nVidia driver and Skype. Several users received an error message saying that “Skype executable is corrupted”. If you want, you can try to revert to the older 280.26 driver and see if this makes any difference.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 22 (341 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling