Skype upgrade

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype upgrade

I have followed the upgrade procedure. ie load and then run SkypeSetupFull.  It will not allow me to do it. I "have not the right permisions" although I am an Administrator on my system. It stopped part way through the procedure. I do not now have any icons to run, it has removed the program prior to upgrade. Help please

This widget could not be displayed.
lizziemike
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (2,897 Views)

Re: Skype upgrade

You may try the procedure outlined here in order to install a new version of Skype without using any installer program:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/How-to-update-Skype-without-using-any-Skype-installer/m-p/7073...

Just download without installing the latest msi-installer for the current 6.0.0.126 version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.0.0.126.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6978
Message 2 of 9 (2,892 Views)

You can try Portable version

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6478
Message 3 of 9 (2,884 Views)

Many thanks. It now is installed.
lizziemike
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (2,864 Views)

You are very welcome and thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 5 of 9 (2,862 Views)

When it was released, I downloaded and upgraded my Skype version 5.1 to the new version 6.0 and tried this new version for what must have been....nearly 30 minutes!!

What a load of **** I thought!! Some of the options I used to like have been disabled..

I used to like typing the IM and then pressing the <send> button instead of pressing the <enter> key, but the version 6.0 does not not allow that option anymore! They also moved the Smiley button <:happy:> from the left-hand side to the right-hand side after all the months I got used to this button being on the left-hand side!

Also I was using the IM feature and having a conversation with a friend. I was looking over some previous our messages, she then suddenly sent me an IM, but her message did not go onto the end of the messages, but was added into the message where I was looking some 40 minutes previous.

I have now downgraded Skype to the more stable 5.1 version..and I am happy with this!

But I have a problem..I have set the automatic updates to 'off' in the options, but every time I startup Skype it asks me if I want to upgrade to the latest version (6.0)

How do I set Skype so that I turn this feature off completely so that this choice of upgrading does not appear? See attached picture.

Also for those who are interested, you can download any version of Skype from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_skype/

marksh294
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (2,422 Views)

you can disable automatic updating of Skype.
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-crashes-after-login/m-p/1114890/highlight/true#M84454

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 7 of 9 (2,418 Views)

marksh294 wrote:

When it was released, I downloaded and upgraded my Skype version 5.1 to the new version 6.0 and tried this new version for what must have been....nearly 30 minutes!!

What a load of **** I thought!! Some of the options I used to like have been disabled..

I used to like typing the IM and then pressing the <send> button instead of pressing the <enter> key, but the version 6.0 does not not allow that option anymore! They also moved the Smiley button <:happy:> from the left-hand side to the right-hand side after all the months I got used to this button being on the left-hand side!

Also I was using the IM feature and having a conversation with a friend. I was looking over some previous our messages, she then suddenly sent me an IM, but her message did not go onto the end of the messages, but was added into the message where I was looking some 40 minutes previous.

I have now downgraded Skype to the more stable 5.1 version..and I am happy with this!

But I have a problem..I have set the automatic updates to 'off' in the options, but every time I startup Skype it asks me if I want to upgrade to the latest version (6.0)

How do I set Skype so that I turn this feature off completely so that this choice of upgrading does not appear? See attached picture.

Also for those who are interested, you can download any version of Skype from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_skype/

See also this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/I-want-to-turn-off-automatic-updates/m-p/334336#M28815

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6978
Message 8 of 9 (2,410 Views)

Hello Everybody! I am a Skype user for many years, and yesterday I wanted to merge my Skype and Messenger account. I downloaded and installed the latest Skype (6.3), and entered the account details in the blank fields. Then I reveived en error message, that Skype has stopped working, and needs to close. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but nothing has changed. Now I do not have messenger and I do not have Skype, but I need both of them. I am using Windows XP on a netbook and Windows Vista on a notebook. I tried to install Skype on both, with the same result. What is the problem, and how can I solve it?

ATP1981
Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (1,516 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling