Skype update notifications: how to disable? Nothin...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype update notifications: how to disable? Nothing helps

Hello,

after Skype updated to version 6 I found out that developers removed character count in that version. It's also not possible to use CTRL+Enter to send messages as there's no more option for this. These are 2 critical reasons why I decided to install the 5.10.0.116 back.

But for some reason I can't disable Skype automatic update and it doesn't matter what I do:

- I turned off Updates in Skype->Options->Adv.Settings->Automatic Update

- I disabled Skype Update service

- I totaly removed the Updater-Folder

- I completely reinstalled Skype several times, removing all Skype-entries through regedit

- I created GP regarding to this post: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-Updates/m-p/1083326/highlight/true#M81540

Nothing helped. Still, once I send an SMS (it seems to happen only when sending sms or calling physical numbers), it still pops up.

Is there any other solution to disable this annoying update request?

SergusB
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (5,660 Views)

Re: Skype update notifications: how to disable? Nothing helps

This will not totally remove the annoying update notifications, but will significantly reduce the frequency of these updates.

Whenever you receive such a notification, click on “Not now”. Right after open Windows Temp folder and delete the SkypeSetup.exe file. For a couple of days you might be free of new update notifications.

In order to access the Temp folder, go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %temp% and then press Enter or OK button.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5950
Message 2 of 9 (5,649 Views)

You can use a personal firewall Software to block Skype update server.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/I-can-t-start-skype-normally/m-p/443077/highlight/true#M39847

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6287
Message 3 of 9 (5,637 Views)

Tamim, yeah, I knew someone would suggest this solution. Unfortunately I just forgot to list it when I was opening this thread. I've done this already and this didn't help. It still pops up every time I send an sms and at the skype-startup even if there's no connection to the internet at all. No idea, what to do (I'm not going to update Skype).

ruwim, thank you for your reply. There's no SkypeSetup.exe file in the temporary windows folder, so there's nothing to delete :sad:

SergusB
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (5,633 Views)

SergusB wrote:

Tamim, yeah, I knew someone would suggest this solution. Unfortunately I just forgot to list it when I was opening this thread. I've done this already and this didn't help. It still pops up every time I send an sms and at the skype-startup even if there's no connection to the internet at all. No idea, what to do (I'm not going to update Skype).

ruwim, thank you for your reply. There's no SkypeSetup.exe file in the temporary windows folder, so there's nothing to delete :sad:

Everything is based only on my own experience, so it doesn’t need to be generally true. However, in my case the notifications stopped for at least few days as soon as I delete the SkypeSetup.exe file. The fact that you are receiving these notifications even when not connected to Internet, indicates that something resides on your computer. Maybe location of the Temp folder is different on your system. Have you tried to search for the SkypeSetup.exe file?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 9 (5,630 Views)

Oh.. found it in temp. I was wrong: I looked for this file in temp/skype folder. Removed it now. Will see if this problem will appear in the future. Thanks a lot

SergusB
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (5,623 Views)

Now I must correct what I have said in my last post. This time I was trying to send SMS using 5.10 and my another account. Immediately an Update Notification appeared. Deleting SkypeSetup.exe didn’t help. This file was again downloaded to the Temp folder and a new notification was activated. This happens only with this account from which I was trying to send the SMS, which by away is still not delivered. I have even deleted all traces of this last SMS both from main.db and msn.db databases, but this had no effect on the update notifications. Still don’t have any notifications when starting my primary (free) account.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 9 (5,594 Views)

The latest Skype update (6.3) simply don't work in my pc. I am sticking with 6.2 for now and I don't want anyone telling me that I should update to a poorly tested version.

I found something that worked for me until now:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/How-to-disable-Skype-updates/m-p/345638/highlig...

Basically, instead of simply deleting SkypeSetup.exe, you can create a dummy executable and deny its access to everyone. Skype will be unable to do anything to the dummy file and hopefully it won't nag you with annoying and bad shaped updates.

LuisRodrigues
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (5,052 Views)

That's the way I disabled that annoying update notification. Btw. I'm still using 5.10.0.116 :happy:

Thanks for reply anyway!

SergusB
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (5,045 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling