Re: Skype update 2012/3/6 (v5.8, I think?) install...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype update 2012/3/6 (v5.8, I think?) installation fails

Skype tried to update itself today, and it's having issues.

It seems to have uninstalled the previous version (it's no longer in the "Programs and Features" list), but when it tries to install the new version, it gives an error saying "Service 'Skype Updater' (SkypeUpdate) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."  Options are Retry and Cancel; Retry gives the same error, Cancel gives an Information box that says "Installing Skype failed; code 1603. A fatal error occurred during installation."

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, with an administrator-level account.

Automatic update, normal web installer, and stand-alone full installer all give the same error.

Also tried right-clicking the full installer and telling it "Run as Administrator"; no change.

Crazy thing is, that service doesn't seem to exist except when the thing is trying to install.

Rhainor
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (6,067 Views)

Re: Skype update 2012/3/6 (v5.8, I think?) installation fails

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 226
Message 2 of 8 (5,933 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try to download the business version (5.8.32.158 )

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/business/download/

This version does not require the Updater service.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6002
Message 3 of 8 (5,932 Views)

Code 1603 can result from multiple problems, it seems. In my case, Skype had already been uninstalled, and does not appear in either "Programs and Features" or in Revo Uninstaller Pro.
Rhainor
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 8 (5,877 Views)

everything is working exept the mike is automatically switched to mute when I am trying to connect a contact
heinzelmann1502
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 8 (3,549 Views)

jakob rar type.<3
oliviapleinert
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (3,497 Views)

Rhainor wrote:

It seems to have uninstalled the previous version (it's no longer in the "Programs and Features" list), but when it tries to install the new version, it gives an error saying "Service 'Skype Updater' (SkypeUpdate) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."  Options are Retry and Cancel; Retry gives the same error, Cancel gives an Information box that says "Installing Skype failed; code 1603. A fatal error occurred during installation."

Automatic update, normal web installer, and stand-alone full installer all give the same error.

Also tried right-clicking the full installer and telling it "Run as Administrator"; no change.

Crazy thing is, that service doesn't seem to exist except when the thing is trying to install.

Rhainor wrote:

Rhainor wrote:

leen_hany
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 8 (2,332 Views)

Updater.dll ^_^
malan4yk2
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 8 (306 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling