Skype stopped working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype stopped working

Why did skype stop working on my computer?  I tried to reinstall it several time but each time it stops working...

Joseph
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (555 Views)

Re: Skype stopped working

Try the suggestions I mentioned in this thread;

-community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Can-t-Sign-Into-Skype/m-p/118#M16

If none works, please provide a more detailed description of the problem, and any additional details that you feel is related to the issue.  thanks! :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1260
Message 2 of 9 (552 Views)

Skype has updated and some users have same problem. Try to update your skype

esl_all
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (526 Views)

... or try to install the current beta version (ver 5.5) if the latest official Skype release is not working.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1260
Message 4 of 9 (484 Views)

Re: Skype stopped working- THE ONLY SOLUTION

Skype is no longer working on my machine, either. The process will start, only to shut down 2-3 seconds later. I am using a fully patched Windows XP with MS firewall set to permit Skype.

This is an outrage. I cannot comprehend that you would release updates that basically disable Skype service! I am now severely hampered in doing business/ reaching friends.

I know that you corporatons at Skype won't care/ reply anyway (except perhaps to remind me that I should be civil with you, even as you prevent me from talking to my girlfriend)- if a company is evil enough to push updates down your throat w/o warning or testing, they will certainly not care to fix one user's problem, just because you pay them every month- after all, why deliver on your product when it's cheaper to just collect money and do zilch?

To whoever deigns to reply: Better get a job with a company that allows you to look in the mirror in the evening without that burning feeling of shame from having ripped off honest folk. Feels really good, try it sometime.

Peace,

David

P.S.: HOW TO FIX ALL SKYPE PROBLEMS

1. DISABLE automatic startup

2. Find an OLD version of Skype. Better have security holes than a non-working phone app, don't believe the hype! Use Windows compatibility mode if you have to.

3. DISABLE auto-update

4. NEVER upgrade. Just don't, this isn't the first time this has happened, won't be the last. Skype does NOT care about your problems, don't expect help.

5. Don't bother looking for help here. My suggestions are the ONLY known fix

...I'm going to Reddit/ Slashdot now to vent/ rant, and make sure I get at least 10,000 people to read it. Revenge of the small IT guy...

david_the_germa
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (451 Views)

Further to my post: Download old Skpe versions e.g. from oldapps (they don't permit links here), and follow my advice: DO NOT UPGRADE SKYPE!!!

david_the_germa
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (445 Views)

Hello guys, I have just had the same problem with my skype overnight and I would deeply aprehciate it if I could have some help. Yesterday my skype was working perfectly and then later when I went back on skype it said "skype is not working, close program". I tried several time after this going back into skype but I always ended up with the same result. I then restarted my computer but also had the same misfortune. I have tried uninstalling skype and then downloading it again but I have still got the same result. If you could somehow give me directions before atleast 1 o-clock that would be the best but I atleast need to have it fixed before tomorrow. :happy:

chelseabyrne
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 9 (429 Views)

To the "THE ONLY SOLUTION"
Could you please describe your message in more detail and maybe have a link to the install of the old skype. That would be deeply aprehciated :happy:

chelseabyrne
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (427 Views)

I downloaded skype onto my HTC andriod Phone, and it worked ok but not brilliant for about a hour, it automatticaly signed me out and shut it down, i then went to log into skype and it restarts my whole phone (turns it off)

Has anyone had this problem, and do you no a solution?

many thanks

sian-davis
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (192 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling