Skype started locking up during voice calls today

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype started locking up during voice calls today

Something's gone screwy with my skype since Friday, when I logged in this morning every call I've been on has resulted in skype basically locking up on me for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Running XP Service pack 3, have not made any changes to my system since Friday.

Journal of Woe:

Audio cuts out and begins to only come through in fraction of a second sound bites every fiew seconds, and entire computer seems to freeze entirely/slow to a crawl.  Trying to call people back fails, and when they call me, none of the buttons (Answer/Answer with Video/Decline" seem to work, and computer freezes again for a while.  My IMs also fail to go through, they'll just have the circle spin as if it's trying to send them and ultimately fail and disappear.  Until the "freeze" ends and I quit trying to use the call functionality I am unable to send IMs.

Used Task manager to kill skype and restart it.

Skype updates itself.

Attempt to recall people, same thing happens.  Again kill skype and restart it, with same results.

Restart computer, try to initiate call again.

No problems for about 30 mins, then same problem reoccurs.  Give up on call for a moment and just use the IM for a while, no problems occur.

After several hours, someone tries to initiate another call with me, problem immediately reoccurs.

Uninstall & Reinstall skype.

Try to have them start the call again, problem immediately reoccurs.

Anyone else having recent troubles like this?  The call functionality just seems to have gone completely bustedface on me.

will_shirley
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 2 (226 Views)

Re: Skype started locking up during voice calls today

Hi,

Within our company some users, but not all, are experiencing something very similar if not identical.  It appears to apply to certain people even when they receive a new computer.  I only have empirical evidence for my suspicions which are that iTunes and / or Spotify may play a part in this problem, possibly by competing for shared resource.  We have instructed users not to install their own apps but currently do not prevent them from doing so.  If anyone has similar experience please respond, especially if you have a solution.

Regards

Brian

bdr200
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 2 (161 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling