Skype sounds play through speakers even when earph...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype sounds play through speakers even when earphones are plugged into the headphone socket.

Hi.

I have recently updated to a new Dell Inspiron 15R (running Windows 7) and am using the newest version of Skype.

I rarely wish to play sounds through my laptop speakers, and instead prefer to use earphones but certain Skype sounds (such as the startup flourish and instant messages) come out of my speakers regardless.

Is there anyway I could resolve this issue?

Thanks for your time,

Ben

erroneousfiend
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (5,067 Views)

Re: Skype sounds play through speakers even when earphones are plugged into the headphone socket.

hey ben the issue is not skype suprisingly. it is either your computer speakers has a cord that gets pulled loose or it is not connecter properly.if this continues please look for me and i shall ask one of my computer geek friends :wink: puppy
bailyfish1990
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 12 (5,061 Views)

Re: Skype sounds play through speakers even when earphones are plugged into the headphone socket.

Hi Bailyfish

Thanks for the quick reply!

However, I am refering to the inbuilt speakers of my laptop so I don't think that this is the issue. I don't want sounds to come out of my speakers when my headphones are plugged into the jack socket but Skype is bypassing this and using my speakers regardless.

erroneousfiend
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (5,025 Views)

I have the same problem. Even though my headphones are plugged in, any sound generated by skype has the result of re-directing the output all sounds (such as music on itunes) through the laptop speakers. Very strange, and REALLY annoying. Any ideas anyone?
rob007
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 12 (4,538 Views)

fixed it...

goto Options, audio settings and then to 'Show advanced options'

CHange the order of the speakers preferences so that the top one is 'Speakers and Headphones' instead of 'CommunicationHeadphones'. Makes little sense to me but it did the trick.
rob007
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (4,529 Views)

Re: Skype sounds play through computer speakers even when headphones are plugged into the USB port

Good suggestion about changing the device throughout internet options, however I still have the problem of the sound coming from the computer (windows 7) speakers while the USB connection from the headsets is plugged into the USB Port. The headphones work just fine when I use them to listen to Netflix so nothing is wrong with the headphones. I don't know what changed, it has been working fine until the sound thing happened for no apparent reason. Any other suggestions? Thanks

cchubble
Tourist
Message 6 of 12 (4,476 Views)

I just had the same problem. Here are the steps from the beginning:

1. Almost at the top you'll see: Skype, Contacts, Call, View, Tools and Help.

2. Click on Tools

3. Scroll down Tools menu to Options

4. Click on Options

5. Click on Audio Settings

6. Besides Speakers you'll probably see - Speakers and Headphones.

That is your problem. Click the little triangular arrow and you'll see the other option: Communications Headphones - that's what you want to solve your problem. So click on it so that you'll see Communications Headphones.

7. Click Ok.

Problem resolved.

ianmaclennan
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 12 (4,164 Views)

Normally if you choose the option loudspeakers/earphone sound changes to earphone when you plug them into your laptop with built in speakers, Windows 7. After forced update 23. January it doesn´t. You still have sound in loudspeaker but a little lower. Of course if you choose option earphone it changes to earphone.

It seems like the programmers mixed the outputs with the last update. If you choose option loudspeaker/earphones there is no sound in earphones plugged in but the call signal which always should come in the loudspeakers come in the earphones.

All other programs, like Spotify, works the same as before so it is not due to any Windows update.

So please correct last update asp.

Ingemar

ingols48
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (4,134 Views)

Im having the same problem -- headphones plugged in properly but sound comes through laptop anyway
DBB424
DBB424
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (3,638 Views)

options in Skype or in Computer settings?
Dbb424
DBB424
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (3,638 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling