Skype sounds mute other audio

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype sounds mute other audio

When skype makes a sound (fx. a chat msg sound, youtube videos etc) ppl that i talk to are getting muted (until the sound ends).

How can i fix this?

(dont know if you need "deeper" systeminfo)

NickolajL
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (9,793 Views)

Re: Skype sounds mute other audio

NickolajL wrote:

When skype makes a sound (fx. a chat msg sound, youtube videos etc) ppl that i talk to are getting muted (until the sound ends).

How can i fix this?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to your system and any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

If this is a USB device, please unplug it and plug it back in while Skype is running. Then go to your Audio devices in Skype and check both the basic and advanced pages, once the proper devices are selected, please click the "Save" button. If this did not help, please see the below:

Please also see these:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

If you are using WIN7 please see this: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10330/Sound-guide-Windows-7

http://support.skype.com/en-us/category/CALL_QUALITY/

Note: the above link has 2 pages so please view them both.

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA265/How-can-I-make-a-test-call

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10746/How-can-I-improve-my-audio-quality

Also, you can use the Skype client program window at anytime and do:

Hellp -> Call Quality Guide -> Sound Check Wizard

A new version has just been released September 1, 2011:

Please download from here and when prompted click the open or run button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

This new version is 5.5.0.115 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 2 of 10 (9,667 Views)

i have now checked everything, and it did not fix my problem... I has been this way for quite som skype updates

NickolajL
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (9,659 Views)

That was a pretty bad description i made there... I will give it another go (no edit function?)

When skype makes a sound (fx. a chat msg sound) it seems to overrule all other sounds (like a skype conversation, youtube videos, music etc)

NickolajL
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (9,649 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same problem. I had the same skype version and windows 7 x86 and I installed windows 7 x64 with the same last skype version and now on every skype sound (message, call, even on the sounds for opening and closing skype) all my sounds get muted until the end of the skype sound...it's very annoying since I can't listen normally to a song when I'm chatting :sad: There isn't any visual sign (on the sound mixer) for muted sound but there is no sound at that moments. It's probably not a skype problem since it worked normally with the same version before but I'm very desperred and if anyone have any solutions I'll be very thankful.

Bastun
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 10 (9,239 Views)

The same stuff going on here, when i receive a new IM all other sounds (e.g itunes or media player) pauses and get back after the notification ends.

Any solution? Windows 7 ultimate x64, Skype 5.5.0.124

stjhimy
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 10 (9,226 Views)

This **bleep** TheUberOverLord didn't even read your message NickolajL. He just copy pasted useless piece of **bleep** which he posts to everyone here.

For some reason Skype acts like M$ and others who knows better how your pc should act without giving you option to change it even in adv. settings.
Of course this `problem` persist and cannot be disabled using Skype.

Go in your windows to Control Panel -> Sound -> Find the sound device which outputs your sound -> properties -> advanced -> UNMARK(untick) Allow applications to take over control over this device.

This will take away possibility for Skype to control your playback device.

ps: I'm wondering if someone will remove this msg :happy:
Morfi717
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (9,151 Views)

This one was bugging me too after switching to windows 7. This is what worked for me:

skype_unmute_sounds.jpg

coldmeat
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (9,112 Views)

alisheikh
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (8,960 Views)

NickolajL wrote:

How can i fix this?

Try Below:

start menu> control pannel> sound (the speaker icon)

select the device "speakers and dual headphone" or whatever shows up in your computer on the bottom right > properties (click on this)

it will open property pannel for the selected device and u will see following tabs general | Customs | levels | Enhancements | Advanced

go to advanced tab uncheck where it says Allow application to take exclusive control of this device

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6086
Message 10 of 10 (8,951 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling