Skype sound is awful on my laptop! - breaking up a...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype sound is awful on my laptop! - breaking up and crackling sound

Even when it loads up the noise breaks up and is patchy, so does the voice calls. People can hear me fine but any noise that comes from skype just sounds so bad, including echo. I have just reinstalled skype again so its the latest version. It’s not my speakers as music and everything else sounds absolutely fine. Its just skype.

a) Skype version currently installed (Skype->Help->About) 5.3.0.120

b) Operating System, Version, Patch level (e.g. Windows, XP, Service Pack 1 or 2, etc) windows xp

c) Type of Internet connection and speed (e.g. dial-up or broadband, 768 down/128 up, etc) dial up broadband

d) Router in use? If so, which model? N/A

e) Firewalls in use? If so, which? Norton anti virus

f) Headset in use?  n/a

g) Have you tried a call to 'echo123' from BOTH sides? If so, what are the results? Broken sound as above both from "her" and from me.

littlejennar
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (2,262 Views)

Re: Skype sound is awful on my laptop! - breaking up and crackling sound

Before trying to isolate an issue, it's always best that one is running the latest Skype release. Which may in itself resolve the issue.

A new version has just been released September 13th, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

This new version is 5.5.0.117 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

Please see these suggestions, if you still have issues, please post them back here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Call-Issues-Checks/td-p/156704

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 2 of 4 (2,127 Views)

I reinstalled it today so i assume its the new one?? Its version 5.3.0.120
littlejennar
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (2,122 Views)

littlejennar wrote:
I reinstalled it today so i assume its the new one?? Its version 5.3.0.120

The latest Windows version for Skype is 5.5.0.117: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-sound-is-awful-on-my-laptop-breaking-up-and-crackling/m-...

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 4 of 4 (2,116 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling