Skype says my application will stop working with S...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype says my application will stop working with Skype in December 2013

I guess I shouldn't be surprised something like this would happen shortly after Microsoft aquired Skpe.  I'm curious if this means that Skype desktop clients released after December 2013 will not include the desktop API? 

Hopefully, all the users who depend on the Desktop API can continue to use the Skype client 6.9.0.0 (which still includes the Desktop API); and, prevent Skype from upgrading to newer Skype desktop versions that purposefully cripple all desktop API dependent apps.

Thanks Microsoft *sarcasm*

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12349/skype-says-my-application-will-stop-working-with-skype-in-d...

MKANET
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 20 (3,356 Views)

Re: Skype says my application will stop working with Skype in December 2013

I can't believe it! Millions of people are sad about this. :(n)::sad:

gil.nette
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 20 (3,332 Views)

I was just thinking the same thing!

This is "progress" in the eyes of Microsoft, as is always the case.

Microsoft are very good at waiting until something gains a good user base (those users having spent money on say hardware), then discontinue it to p!ss them all off making hardware they're used to obsolete through one software change.

But I'm sure there will be a whole new range of Microsoft branded hardware to buy after December 2013

psings
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 20 (3,310 Views)

Take away external Skype phone control and force users to control via the application = we'll make sure they see those adverts

psings
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 20 (3,308 Views)

I am not the most advanced person when it comes to computers.  I must be misunderstanding this.  So....come December 2013 Skype won't work on my desktop or my laptop???  That doesn't make sense.  If so, I guess that means I won't be able to speak with my husband who is overseas serving our country.  That would be disappointing.........to put it lightly.

tommyssally
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 20 (3,177 Views)

tommyssally wrote:

I am not the most advanced person when it comes to computers.  I must be misunderstanding this.  So....come December 2013 Skype won't work on my desktop or my laptop???  That doesn't make sense.  If so, I guess that means I won't be able to speak with my husband who is overseas serving our country.  That would be disappointing.........to put it lightly.

No. Your Skype will still be working. This message only concerns the 3rd party applications that are connecting to Skype using the Desktop API (Skype4Com.dll).

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6908
Message 6 of 20 (3,171 Views)

It's amazing how Microsoft treats its customers.
In my case have a IPEVO handset, which is no more than an extension of sound, a microphone and speaker system.
So now Skype will stop managing microphones and speakers in the Windows environment?! ...
This is really serious! It's playing with us, and to our knowledge.
Microsoft, as always, can only have vested interests in the middle, to the detriment of users.
There is some difficulty for Microsoft to separate facilities, depending on the Skype working platform? Of course not, it's bull**bleep**!: :(n):: :mad:

lcruz2004
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 20 (2,999 Views)

I would assume that using an older version of the Skype client would prevent the API from not functioning.  Does anyone else concur with that statement?

Montclair
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 20 (2,739 Views)

huh. my skype appears to be hacked. Cant's shake it. Support ignories it or says to ask Norton. > third party free ride on my dime and ALL OVER my freaking desk top!  I am thinking that this is the typical nonfix to security issues.  Did you know that you can change your SKYPE pasword without any security, by going thrugh your control panel? Yeah. That big a #Fail. 

The question desktop users should be asking is not, "Will my skype work after Decemeber 2013"? BUT "Is my SKYPE secure after December 2013"?

kivaluck
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 20 (2,557 Views)

In the mesaage about this issue it says to go to Help > Give Feedback to provide your opinon about this upcoming change....but my version of skype doesn't have this option. There is no Give Feedback menu item anywhere.

We use skype for connecting our offices via conf calls and for calling older family members using skype phones....I guess I'll be looking for an alternative solution to skype since using the interface will not work.

bshadbolt
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 20 (2,529 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling