Skype not working for Windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype not working for Windows 8

Hi,

Up until I downloaded Windows 8, skype has been working well. However, now the problem seems to be when I sign in, a windows box appears saying that a problem has occurred. 

My first thought was to re-install and yet this did not change the status of my situation.

Thank you,

Mohammad

funboymo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (36,001 Views)

Re: Skype not working for Windows 8

Please post event viewer log in your very next reply.

Click Start >> Run >> Type eventvwr.msc /s
Custom Views >> Administrative Events
Look for any error message related to Skype crash.

You can try to reset skype settings
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-auto-logs-off/m-p/938210/highlight/true#M69026

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 5786
Message 2 of 8 (35,989 Views)

Hi Tamim,

I would like to do this, I also have Windows 8, can you please tell me where to find the Start key in order to run that script? thank you! ~Kerry

kmase80
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (32,567 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is technically no "START" icon in Windows 8.

So, to get to the "RUN" pop-up, please try keying the following, at the same time:

The Windows key and the R key        <WINDOWS>+R

This should display the traditional RUN pop-up and then you may key in the command(s).

I hope this helps you to at least be able to display the RUN pop-up!

--Ricky

------------------------------------------------------------
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation
RickyLA
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 8 (32,508 Views)

Yes, that helps a lot, thank you Ricky!

On the skype not working note, I actually uninstalled then reinstalled it and now it works fine! Woohoo!

kmase80
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (32,484 Views)

Skype Not Working On Windows 8

Hey guys,

I rencently got a new dell laptop with windows 8, it had skype already pre-downloaded but when i try to start it  

it loads for a few seconds and then says skype cannot connect. I am conected to the internet, router is fine and its definately downloaded. I am in an area outside of Orlando on vacation so i dont know if its the area signal.

Can anyone explain whats wrong?

Brad

Flip5ty1e23
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (24,566 Views)

6.3 has many issues

try downgrading to 6.1 here http://www.filepuma.com/download/skype_6.1.0.129-2261/download/

first uninstal it and then delete the file in the program files folder

once that is done, don't forget to turn auto update off so it doesn't go back to 6.3

this has fixed the issue for most people and i hope it works for you guys too until MS comes with a fix of their own

NarutoN20
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (24,544 Views)

Flip5ty1e23 wrote:

Skype Not Working On Windows 8

Hey guys,

I rencently got a new dell laptop with windows 8, it had skype already pre-downloaded but when i try to start it  

it loads for a few seconds and then says skype cannot connect. I am conected to the internet, router is fine and its definately downloaded. I am in an area outside of Orlando on vacation so i dont know if its the area signal.

Can anyone explain whats wrong?

Brad

What Firewall and Antivirus applications are installed on your computer?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5035
Message 8 of 8 (24,407 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling