Skype not working after update

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype not working after update

My Skype automatically updated at some point last week. Since then NOTHING has worked. It takes at least 5 minutes to log in (if it does, half of the time it just tells me it doesn't recognise my details) and once I have logged in it gives me the 'connecting' icon for ages before it says I'm online. Then no one else shows up online and the people who are come through 3 at a time. Then once I've finally gotten in, it takes a long time to actually send messages (get the circle thing for ages) if they do send, and I can't receive messages either. Plus if I click to call anyone, or someone calls me, the call won't go through and you end up getting the irritating Skype noises for a very long time even after closing the programme.

I'm using the latest version, obviously, on Windows 7 and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no success. I'm having to use Google Talk to speak to friends and family in other countries, which is just an awful system which I have to get them to install, plus the group calls we've had I can't join in on so I'm missing big news and it's kinda doing my head in now. 

Anyone got any ideas of what's happening?? Any suggestions will be hugely welcomed and a fix would make my life a hell of a lot easier! 

Please use plain text.
Эми
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 20 (1,902 Views)

Re: Skype not working after update

Update tonight now get msg that Skype has problem and needs to close. I have used every night this week with no issues until tonight after the update. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and same problem. Can only suspect the update is to blame

Please use plain text.
Robcot
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 20 (1,891 Views)

That's what I've been blaming too. I know a lot of people who had problems, but there's have cleared up and I'm kinda sick of waiting for it to fix. Not getting any error messages, though. Just the occasional "check your connection". Absolutely no issue with my connection, though. As soon as I troubleshoot, that goes away and I'm still just stuck with a platform that doesn't work. 

Please use plain text.
Эми
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 20 (1,888 Views)

Have the same problem.

Not impressed with the quality Good thing the software is free.   

Uninstalled new version, re installed the old version and on start up disabled the automatic updates. 

I click on "later" on the regular Pop up informing me that there's an update. Comes up twice on start up.

Please use plain text.
BillT9934
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 20 (1,880 Views)

The old version still works then? I might try that, where did you get it from? It has to be better than not being able to use it. I've contacted Skype in about 3 different ways to no avail so I might as well. 

Please use plain text.
Эми
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 20 (1,876 Views)

Old version doesn't work for me grrrrrrrrrr

Please use plain text.
Robcot
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 20 (1,871 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found 5.10 on my computer, automatic updates are off, and I managed to log in straight away. No one online to chat to just yet so I won't claim a complete success but it looks better than it did!

ETA: Actuallyyes, it does work. FINALLY. Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Эми
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 20 (1,868 Views)

So incredibly jealous. This update refuses to recognize my webcam, nor is it letting me even try to troubleshoot why it's not recognizing it (webcamis working just fine, btw). Defeats the whole purpose of Skype for me. :sad:

Please use plain text.
lisadiva3675
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 20 (1,860 Views)

It seems to have a lot of bugs. I'm gonna leave this open coz I'd kinda like a response from someone on Skype which will allow me to use newer versions, but for now I'd rather have an old version installed and have it working than have a completely useless programme sitting on my desktop while I use the dreaded google talk!

Please use plain text.
Эми
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 20 (1,851 Views)

lisadiva3675 wrote:

So incredibly jealous. This update refuses to recognize my webcam, nor is it letting me even try to troubleshoot why it's not recognizing it (webcamis working just fine, btw). Defeats the whole purpose of Skype for me. :sad:

Try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6376
Message 10 of 20 (1,845 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling