Skype not compatible with Internet Explore 10

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype not compatible with Internet Explore 10

[ Edited ]

My computer ran an update today for windows 7 and at the same time it updated Internet explorer to version 10. Since then my skype would not launch and kept crashing when trying to log in. Since I uninstalled the update for Internet explorer 10, skype started working again. Just thought that the microsoft team would like know that your software is not compatible with each other. As to be expected from microsoft...

Heclalava
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (3,901 Views)

Re: Skype not compatible with Internet Explore 10

[ Edited ]

Mine's working fine with IE10 and Skype 6.3. Try uninstalling skype by Revo Uninstaller?

U can also do this. Uninstall Skype, uninstall IE10 so u get IE9. Install IE10 or Skype first.

Hope this will help?

kiwilife01
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 10 (3,898 Views)

Well I also have Skype 6.3, but it is working again now that IE10 is gone from my computer. Not that I ever use IE as an internet browser, I just have it on my PC for other  users of my computer. I tried installing IE10 again and had the same issue with Skype. So the problem lies in one of the two programs, so there must be some compatibility issue.

Heclalava
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (3,892 Views)

[ Edited ]

I updated 3 of my machines to IE 10 last week.  They were all running 6.2.  Since I keep my machines up-to-date with the latest incremental releases, I generally run into msi issues (1603) and have to uninstall my previous release before the new one will take effect.  On all 3 machines I upgraded to 6.3 without issue and Skype logged in at the end of the setup.  The problem you might have may be plug-in related, maybe even Skype Click to Call related.  I tend not to install that Skype plug-in because I have no use for it nor the resources lost.  I would suggest you uninstall your Skype release and Click to Call, upgrade you IE, then re-install Skype 6.3.  You can also try installing it without Click to Call checked (to keep things simpler) and see if your problem goes away.  If that doesn't resolve it, there may be some other corruption or plug-in issue.  If that is the case, you may want to try disabling more plug-ins or resetting your Skype settings.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1253
Message 4 of 10 (3,888 Views)

Well I have tried all of these, with no success. I think the problem is definitely internet explorer 10 that comes from Windows update. I have also found that it interferes with another messenger software I have called QQ which is used in China. IE10 also causes that to crash. I am going to try to update IE10 by directly downloading it and not using the one from windows update. I don't think it is a skype issue, but rather an IE10 issue.

Heclalava
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (3,876 Views)

I have no idea.  All my IE updates were done by going to the IE site which uses the small downloader.  I don't believe it was available through Microsoft Update/Windows Update at the time and that's why I elected the separate download.   It's possible that could be the issue, unless they use the same installer/downloader.  If it happens on more than one machine then you may be right.  However if it happens on only that machine, then I would lean towards something installed on that computer or some other specific incompatibility.  For example in the past many Antivirus/Firewall software packages would break your ability to connect to the Internet after a Windows or other service pack update due to how their software was implemented.  So it's not always a Microsoft issue.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 10 (3,864 Views)

After windows restarted after update skype, gadgets, paltalk and internet explorer have stopped working,

I saw what was updated and the only thing it shows is Internet explorer. on May 1.

nightmisterio
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (3,629 Views)

I uninstalled and reinstalled several versions of Skype, but it was still "Skype stopped working" message. The ONLY way was to downgrade to IE 9

FAntunez
Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (2,801 Views)

Hello, has there been a fix to this? I have been going back to a system restore point in the past just to have my Gadgets and Skype to work again. I don't understand why Windows Update has not resolved the issue if this has been going on for 6 months.

coadjutor
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (2,313 Views)

[ Edited ]

coadjutor,

I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  From my standpoint I don't know what there is to fix since I have never had the issue on any of my personal machines or my relative's.  I have only seen the issue pop-up online and in these forums.  So there is definitely a trigger for the problem but that's true of other problems as well, so I'm not denying that.  If I had to guess the source of the problem I would suspect other software already installed/registry/policy settings on the machine that might inhibit a successful update.  The reason I state this is because I can do a clean install of windows and every recommended Windows/Microsoft update including IE 10 through windows update any day of the week and I still cannot replicate the problem.  I can probably recreate the problem by pre-installing intrusive Security software/Malware and setting system and registry restrictions.

If I recall correctly there was a case not too distant in the past in which Vista Service Pack 1 broke Internet connectivity on many machines.  It turned out the problem was less a Service Pack issue but more a problem with where many AntiVirus vendors were injecting themselves in their "protection" process.   One of the solutions if I recall correctly was to uninstall the AntiVirus, perform the updates then re-install the latest version of the AntiVirus.  So if it was my machine, I would uninstall anything with a real-time scanner or service,  reset my IE settings,  create a restore point, then test the Internet and Skype connectivity.  After that I would perform the Windows updates, then try again.

If it works, you have a viable solution and you can re-install the latest versions of your AntiVirus/Security apps.  If it doesn't you re-install your applications anyway.  If it breaks only after installing your AntiVirus/Security apps, you have a possible culprit.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 10 (2,310 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling