Skype not activating upon windows 7 start up. (Com...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype not activating upon windows 7 start up. (Compaq nx 7400 initially Vista O.S I upgraded)

[ Edited ]

Dear Skype community,

Skype will not boot up into windows 7 pro on a machine that was initially Vista.  As a result I must download , install and sign in every time I turn my machine on.:mad:

My research has led me to believe that Skype download reads my machine as still having a Vista operating system.  Please help.  I would be very grateful if some one would e-mail a solutioun to [***].   Thank you so very much!:happy:

For your safety and protection, please never, ever include any personally identifiable information such as your real name, e-mail address, or a telephone number in a post on a public Community or forum such as this. Thanks!

stiljoey67
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (358 Views)

Re: Skype not activating upon windows 7 start up. (Compaq nx 7400 initially Vista O.S I upgraded)

Test this Portable Version

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6882
Message 2 of 11 (356 Views)

Re: Skype not activating upon windows 7 start up. (Compaq nx 7400 initially Vista O.S I upgraded)

[ Edited ]

stiljoey67 wrote:

Dear Skype community,

Skype will not boot up into windows 7 pro on a machine that was initially Vista.  As a result I must download , install and sign in every time I turn my machine on.:mad:

My research has led me to believe that Skype download reads my machine as still having a Vista operating system.  Please help.  I would be very grateful if some one would e-mail a solutioun to [***]  Thank you so very much!:happy:

Have you made sure that the option: “Start Skype when Windows starts” was selected? This option is available in Tools -> Options -> General settings.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6521
Message 3 of 11 (348 Views)

The option to start skype upon windows was not offered.  I followed the tools etc suggestion you gave it just was not there in the portable app you suggested.

stiljoey67
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 11 (336 Views)

This option is not available with a Portable installation but should be present with the “normal” installation. Be aware that you must be signed in Skype in order to see this option in Tools -> Options -> General settings.

Also, I’m not 100% sure, but this option might also be absent if you login to Windows with a guest account.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 11 (334 Views)

I have tried all the suggestions to no avail.  Been working almost 2 hrs on it.  None the less thanks for all attempts to help.  I guess I will just have to settle on reinstalling every time I turn the machine on..For now.  I plan to upgrade my account on payday to the subscription that offers customer service via a call center.

Obviously I enjoy this type of stuff,  30 years ago when I was 15 we were wrenching on cars on the week end:wink:

stiljoey67
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 11 (320 Views)

Try this:

Open this folder on your computer:

C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\  (if your system is 32-bit)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\  (if your system is 64-bit)

You should see there the Skype application file (Skype.exe or just Skype icon). Double click on this file. What happens then?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 11 (309 Views)

Try Below:

Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit"

quitskype2.png

Press WinKey + R to open the Run window

WinKey (the button is located between the left Ctrl and Alt with the Windows logo)

winkey1.png

type: %programdata%\Skype\Apps and press Enter

Rename the folder login to login1.

Again Press WinKey + R

type: %appdata% and press Enter

Rename the folder Skype to Old_Skype

Try to uninstalling Skype with Revo Uninstaller

Download and Run Revo

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-professional-version.php

Right Click on Skype and Select Uninstall

revo1.PNG

Windows Installer Launched >> Click Yes

revo3.PNG

Check  Advanced Button >> Click Scan

revo2.PNG

In Found Leftover Registry itms window >> Click Select All >> Then Click Delete >> Next

revo4.PNG

In Found Leftover files and folders window >> Click Select All >> Then Click Delete >> Next

revo5.PNG

Click Finish.

Now try reinstalling latest Skype with this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

You can make a backup by following the instructions below.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Transferring-message-files/m-p/944216/highlight/true#M69220

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6882
Message 8 of 11 (301 Views)

Should I look in computor search box? If yes nothing happens.  Same with the start menue.  The Skype Icon on my desktop throws me into safe mod thus the need to install.

Thank you

stiljoey67
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (282 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 11 (276 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling