Skype mutes all other applications when I'm in a c...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype mutes all other applications when I'm in a call...

Hey there everyone, I've been having a hell of a time trying to get my other applications to work while Skype is running.

This is what happens...

Let's say I take a call in Skype. If I try to open Windows Media Player and try to listen to music, the player will say that the sound files are unavailable/unreadable. If a song was already playing it will go silent, unable to make another sound until I close the call.

It gets worse... It's not only in WMP, but also in Firefox, any video games I open up, and just about everything in general.

Yes, I know that when you're in a call you should be listening to the person, but I tend to use Skype to chat while in game with friends, or to share videos on Youtube. It's become a real inconvienence.

I'm using an HP Pavilion dv6 Laptop with quad-core 1.6 processor and 4GB ram, running a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OS.

Please help!

Shade-AuraX
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (4,629 Views)

Re: Skype mutes all other applications when I'm in a call...

Open Windows Sound Control Panel and got to Communication tab. Select there the option, which suits best your situation. If you don’t want any “muting” effects, then just select the option “Do nothing”.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6846
Message 2 of 4 (4,505 Views)

I have the same thing, But already did that but that didnt work

JuMe1993
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (4,476 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 4 of 4 (4,461 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling