Skype lagging/Freezing up/Generally Slow

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype lagging/Freezing up/Generally Slow

I've reinstalled skype about 6 times in the past 2 weeks and this is why -

It starts out fine I can click on things and call people fine, then it starts to get slow when I click on things and calling people. After that it starts to freeze up when I call people, not shutting off but just freezing up then calling and having the rining stay for ~30 sec after they answer or I hang up (Same for incoming). Then it freezes up when I click on things and not registering that Im clicking it (ex. I had to click end call about 20 times, No joke to get it to close). It's fine when I reinstall it then gets worse the longer it's installed. So I've reinstalled many times and I'm getting fed up.

Please, send some assistance my way.

Arystana
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 41 (30,295 Views)

Re: Skype lagging/Freezing up/Generally Slow

What version are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

Uninstalling and reinstalling often doesn't help unless the uninstall is "complete." 

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

But you might try resetting your Skype configuration using this procedure:

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %appdata% <enter>.  Scroll down to find the \Skype folder and rename it something like \Skype_old.  Restart Skype.

Note:  Renaming the Skype folder will move IM and call history to the renamed folder.  They can be recovered with a few extra steps.

If the problem persists, when it's happening open Task Manager.  How much CPU is Skype using, and how much RAM?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 41 (30,233 Views)

I'm getting the same thing, Skype is constantly (every second for about 2 seconds) randomly lagging up, weather it be trying to type or click a link, maybe when hosting a group call not being able to click until the lag leaves, only to quickly reappear soon after. The version of Skype I am using is 5.8.0.158 I've uninstalled it several times within the last week or so and hasn't helped.
JayJay233
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 41 (30,199 Views)

Uninstalling usually doesn't accomplish anything unless you do a complete unintall, that is, removing all leftover files and registry entries.

You can try resetting your Skype configuration using the procedure described above.  If that doesn't help....same question for you as for the previous poster:  How much CPU is Skype using, and how much RAM?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 41 (30,187 Views)

I've completely reinstalled it and it is now worse then it was.

It's saying it's using 13-15 CPU (Numbers keep going back and forth).

I don't know how to check the RAM it's using.

Arystana
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 41 (30,169 Views)

To confirm...did you do the "complete" uninstall outlined in the link above?

What version do you have installed now...click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

What version of Windows are you running?  If you aren't sure, click on Start and type winver.exe <enter> for the version number.

How are you connecting to the Internet?  Cable?  DSL?  Etc?  Are you using a wired connection or wifi?

What test results do you get if you run a test at www.speedtest.net ?   Download and upload speed, and ping?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 41 (30,159 Views)

[ Edited ]

I did the "complete" uninstall.

The Version of Skype I'm using is: 5.8.0.158

The Version of Windows I'm using is: 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

I use Wireless Internet, AT&T.

My Speed Test results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1859885564.png

The issues I had with skype before were: A while back when Skype would error and close down when you tried to call or message someone and then this (The problem I listed above). (Not including the beta stuff when that was given to us as a temp. solution to the error messages.)

Arystana
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 41 (30,153 Views)

Is your AT&T service DSL?   If so, can you connect to your router via Ethernet cable, rather than wifi, at least for testing purposes?

Also, if you do have DSL, click on Tools > Options > Advanced settings > Connection.  Uncheck all the boxes on that page, save the change, and restart Skype.   Does that make any difference?

And I forgot to ask earlier..what anti-virus / firewall are you running?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 41 (30,146 Views)

Hi, I've got the exact same problem

I live in France, with a different Internet provider, obviously. I'm using Skype 5.8.0.158 on a win 7 Pro SP1 build 7601 PC (french locale).

I did rename the folder as you said, and voilà, no more lags, hangings etc...

I had to keep from the Original Skype folder the "NICKNAME" folder, the "Pictures" folder along with the "received files" folder !!

You saved my day, thanks.

I hope that the OP will solve it's issue as well.
Good luck !

Pierramac
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 41 (30,132 Views)

Glad to hear that tip worked for you.  :(y):  I too hope the OP finds a solution soon. 

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 41 (30,111 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling