Skype keeps dropping calls and forcing offline.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype keeps dropping calls and forcing offline.

Every single time my friend and I try to skype eachother, it will make the call and than either while its ringing or in the first few seconds of the call, it will drop, force my friend offline, and then not allow him back online. When this happens his whole computer even messes up. This makes me believe there might be a problem with their computer but I'm not entirely sure. Whatever it is, Skype causes the problem. This has been an issue for a long time, sometimes it would let it go through, but for the past like, 10 times it hasn't.

What can i do??

Extra Information:

We both have windows 7 OS

Because of all the recent skype problems, I have the BETA and he does not, but this was an issue before I was on it anyway.

I have a Dell Laptop, he has a Toshiba Laptop.

Please help!

melody5
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (17,705 Views)

Re: Skype keeps dropping calls and forcing offline. -

YEs there is a bug in 5.5 + Wanna solve the problem?  FInd 5.3 and install that.   or switch to oovoo

mrmulti
Routine Adventurer
Message 2 of 8 (17,496 Views)

Re: Skype keeps dropping calls and forcing offline.

melody5 wrote:

Every single time my friend and I try to skype eachother, it will make the call and than either while its ringing or in the first few seconds of the call, it will drop, force my friend offline, and then not allow him back online. When this happens his whole computer even messes up. This makes me believe there might be a problem with their computer but I'm not entirely sure. Whatever it is, Skype causes the problem. This has been an issue for a long time, sometimes it would let it go through, but for the past like, 10 times it hasn't.

What can i do??

Extra Information:

We both have windows 7 OS

Because of all the recent skype problems, I have the BETA and he does not, but this was an issue before I was on it anyway.

I have a Dell Laptop, he has a Toshiba Laptop.

Please help!

The beta version you're running is more stable in some ways than 5.5, and no less stable in any way.

What I suggest you and your friend  (but particularly your friend) try is click on Tools > Options > Advanced settings > Connection.  Make sure all boxes on that page are unchecked.  If that doesn't help...

If either of you is using wifi to connect to the Internet and it's at all possible, try an Ethernet connection instead of wifi.

And if none of that works, if either of you, but particularly your friend, are running an anti-virus/firewall besides Microsoft Security Essentials, try, as a troubleshooting step, tempoarily disabling your a/v / firewall.   There have been some conflicts reported with some a/v and firewall programs and Skype, and disabling yours and theirs briefly for a test call will pinpoint that as a problem, or eliminate it.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1111
Message 3 of 8 (17,493 Views)

see, its these kind of answers that make me think that they havent even identified this problem as a bug.  A reproduceable error that MANY including me and my girlfriend on separate brands of laptop, router, etc etc, have been having.  Which started with 5.5 and went away after re-installing 5.3.  SKype was a stable program i used it for years!!! , but after the update it cant even hold a connection!  **bleep**, i am looking for a job, so hire me to fix it for you, or to find out what is causing it.  The future of your company depends upon it.  you should have all programmers assigned to this bug.

mrmulti
Routine Adventurer
Message 4 of 8 (17,485 Views)

oh btw it means that in this case the one who has to reboot or switch wirelss conections to get back on is running 5.5 ... maybe the beta fixes it. I will test it soon.
mrmulti
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (17,483 Views)

[ Edited ]

You say the future of "your" company.  Are you aware this is a user-to-user forum?  While there are a few Skype staffers who stop by once in while, most of those who post here are just users, like you.

In any case, Skype is stable as a rock for this user, me.  I like it's cross platform capability and many of its' features.  And it seems to be getting better with every version.  5.7 is the best so far.

In your case, switch to ooVoo.  You won't have to put up with all of Skype's flaws.

edit:  melody5....I hope you'll try the suggestions I made and let us know if any of them solve your probem.   :(y):

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1111
Message 6 of 8 (17,481 Views)

My calls are frequently dropped and I quite often cannot even complete a call.

stevebauman
Tourist
Message 7 of 8 (16,885 Views)

My girlfriend and I were having the same problem, and changing the settings and making sure all of the checkboxes were unchecked worked for us. Thanx!

wesleyr2011
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 8 (16,671 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling