Re: Skype keeps crashing (Even after an uninstal a...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Skype keeps crashing (Even after an uninstal and reinstal)

same problem here. Any updates on how to fix this
oppugnae
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 24 (1,598 Views)

The only way I've been using to fix this problem is to unistall Skype, go to the hidden folder ...\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Skype and to either delete the contents or to cut and paste it somewhere else if you'd like to keep the chat logs or pictures. After removing everything from the folder, reinstall Skype and it shouldwork.

abokittens
Novel Tourist
Message 12 of 24 (1,471 Views)

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and then read that Flash X whatever was causing the problem so I uninstalled Skype for the 10th time, uninstalled the Adobe Flash x thing that was in the Windows 7 updates the other day,  I reinstalled Skype 5.7 beta,   Now I can't see any videos on my computer!  What do I do?  Reinstall the updates?   Will this start the cycle of crashing Skype again?   I depend on Skype to communicate with family. 

I tried all the other options, I don't understand how to get rid of the temp files from Skype?

My family uses Skype 5.5 I believe,  can I still talk to them with version 5.7 beta?  HELP!

roxxiekh73
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 24 (1,454 Views)

HOW DO YOU GET TO THE "HIDDEN" FOLDER? 

Can someone give me a simple step by step reply on how to fix this?  Thanks so much!

roxxiekh73
Novel Adventurer
Message 14 of 24 (1,438 Views)

Ditto.  Reinstall didn't work and would appreciate detailed instructions to get to hidden folder.  I will try 5.7 when I get a chance.

kbestrada
Novel Tourist
Message 15 of 24 (1,425 Views)

I finally got online with a Skype technician.  Actually two different ones. The first one had me going into program files and messing around.  It did nothing.   The second one had me uninstall Skype and reinstall the Beta 5.7 version.   I can't try it out because none of my contacts are online.  I had to uninstall the Adobe Flash X update that windows gave me the other day because that seemed to be conflicting.  Then I reinstalled flash and then started having issues with my Yahoo Messenger that I also use.   FINALLY the second technician told me that Skype is still WORKING in this issue and its not resolved yet.   Why couldn't they just tell me that in the first place?  She told me to keep my Skype signed in today while they work on it.  This is insane...stay tuned.

roxxiekh73
Novel Adventurer
Message 16 of 24 (1,406 Views)

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? It just started happening with me and I can't get it to keep working.
ggordon
Novel Tourist
Message 17 of 24 (870 Views)

ggordon wrote:
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? It just started happening with me and I can't get it to keep working.

Skype crashes can be due to many different reasons, even when they apparently look very similar. Right now, and this started shortly after release of Skype 5.7 Beta on November 17 last year, Skype is running different ads campaigns and these ads usually result in crashes of all Skype versions but not 5.7 Beta. The problematic ads may be very different, depending on the group of users they are provided to.

According to this Jira report

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-3394

Skype is aware about this issue and “is actively working on building a solution for this issue”. Due to current commercial obligations, this may take a while.

Presumable, there exists also a “corrected” 5.6 version, but for some reasons this version is not yet publicly available. At least, not for everyone.

The current recommendation from Skype is stated here:

http://heartbeat.skype.com/2011/12/skype_for_windows_crashing_on.html

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6077
Message 18 of 24 (862 Views)

pingpole wrote:

I start up Skype and go to click someone to chat with and it stops working. I closed, uninstalled then reinstralled the program and it keeps doing it. The longest i can get it to stay up for before it closes is 5 or 6 mins.

I have tried to fix the problem myself by downloading a ZIP file to report the issue. (Logging-on-off) which contained 2 folders (logging-on & logging-off). I ran the file logging-on then opened Skype. When Skype crashed i opened the file Logging-off.

So now I'm stuck and i don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP MY BUSINESS RELIES ON SKYPE

Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta-full/

If not resolve this issue, then

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Check if the issue persists

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6096
Message 19 of 24 (858 Views)

Nothing seems to work, deleting XML, changing folder names, deleting folders , uninstalling etc etc... We are just going round n round in circles. Ppl at skype really need to look into this.I have a professional account with skype and most of my business dealing is thru it, Its just so annyoing and frustrating! Im thinking of an alternate.

anathar
Novel Tourist
Message 20 of 24 (541 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling