Skype is using too much memory

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Skype is using too much memory

Skype has become rather... bloated. I recommend version 4.2, and disabling automatic updates (otherwise you'll be back at the new, bloated versions soon)
bluewind95
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 25 (4,556 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please try this procedure, in some cases it seems to help with systems that are using more CPU busy as well as more memory than normal: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10143/Why-do-I-get-a-Disk-I-O-error-when-I-try-to-sign-in-to-S...

Note: If you wish to retain your history follow those instructions there as well. Please re-install over what you have afterwards from here by using the run or open option when prompted: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 12 of 25 (4,554 Views)

I have been having issues with Skype. I use it to teach. When I share my screen, then stop sharing, my computer freezes. So I uninstalled it yesterday and reinstalled it. I gave it permissions via the directions found on Skype yet when I open it this morning, on the profile part of Skype, the Skype home page, will not load. It just keeps showing a big circle going around and around. Yesterday Skype was so bad I couldn't teach. I'd like to fix this ASAP. Thank you.
gg4you4170
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 25 (4,549 Views)

The same page that includes home page, profile and give feedback, is not working. I tried to give feedback and it says I am not connected to the internet. I know that I am. I can chat on skype and I am on this page leaving this message. Someone???
gg4you4170
Novel Adventurer
Message 14 of 25 (4,548 Views)

gg4you4170 wrote:
The same page that includes home page, profile and give feedback, is not working. I tried to give feedback and it says I am not connected to the internet. I know that I am. I can chat on skype and I am on this page leaving this message. Someone???

There seems to be an issue with the Skype server and the Home page at the moment, for some, including me. If all your other Skype functions are currently working, it should return back to normal soon.

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 15 of 25 (4,543 Views)

Also.....

A new version has just been released September 13th, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

This new version is 5.5.0.117 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 16 of 25 (4,540 Views)

Hey, I have version 5.5.0.124 and it uses about 90-100k memory just being logged in, and uses 50k memory at the login screen. I don't really have too many contacts, and I am not in any chats. If I was trying to call somebody, then I would understand that Skype uses all that memory to make my call quality better. But outside of calls and chat? I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable.

Here are my system specs;

CPU: Intel Atom N450 @ 1.66GHz

RAM: 1GB Single-Channel DDR2

Graphics: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

fruroar
Casual Tourist
Message 17 of 25 (4,094 Views)

fruroar wrote:

Hey, I have version 5.5.0.124 and it uses about 90-100k memory just being logged in, and uses 50k memory at the login screen. I don't really have too many contacts, and I am not in any chats. If I was trying to call somebody, then I would understand that Skype uses all that memory to make my call quality better. But outside of calls and chat? I'm sorry, but that is unacceptable.

I think you've slipped a few decimal places :wink:

don't forget that you agreed to participate in Skype's P2P network

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 281
Message 18 of 25 (4,087 Views)

I've bought a brand new Samsung Netbook - Dual Core - 2GB. Brand new Windows 7 Starter install - Skype is only application I've put on here and whenever I make a call Skype states that I do not have enough resources even without video. Is it too much of a coincidence that Skype has become very bloated since Microsoft bought the product!!!!! Vista bloated Kerne type scenariol!!!! I can't really find any features to turn off. I have considered Skype Business - Does anyone know if this is a little less resource hungry?

stubow75
Novel Tourist
Message 19 of 25 (3,765 Views)

Your skype is only using 90 MB of memory?  You are lucky.  At this instant, mine is using 165 MB (Windows XP 32-bit).  Skype 5.5.0.124.  All I use skype for is IM.  Never made a call.  Never done video.  Never shared a screen.

-Sam

sbqwrs
Novel Adventurer
Message 20 of 25 (3,426 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling