Skype is taking forever to log me in, and after fo...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype is taking forever to log me in, and after forever it says "Skype can't connect."

I can't even tell you how long I've been trying to mess with my stupid Skype trying to get it to work. One day it was working fine, then the next it's not. I've tried changing my password. I tried completely making a new account. Uninstalling it, restarting my laptop. Installing the newest version of Skype, then restarting again. Still the same thing happens. I try to log in, and it takes a very very long time to load. After attempting to load, it tells me that Skype can't connect. I read on the tech support, that I should try turning off my firewalls. I turned them both off. This didn't work, of course right? I just want to know why one day it was working... And now it's been giving me these problems now. There has been no changes on my laptop. Just sooo stupid.

kudosforkaycie
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (4,129 Views)

Re: Skype is taking forever to log me in, and after forever it says "Skype can't connect."

What Firewall and Antivirus applications are installed on your computer?

You can also try to reset all Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6846
Message 2 of 7 (4,119 Views)

Re: Skype is taking forever to log me in, and after forever it says "Skype can't connect."

Please answer all of the following questions in your very next reply:

Do you have any security software installed on the computer?
Did a Free-trial antivirus come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it?
Do you have any other p2p (µTorrent, BiTtorrent, Team Viewer) software installed on the computer?
Which version of Skype do you use?
Do you have Hamachi LogMeIn installed?
What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6194
Message 3 of 7 (4,111 Views)

Tanim I have logmeinhamachi and my Skype takes forever to load please help!
NextLevelPro101
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 7 (3,906 Views)

NextLevelPro101,

Try this.

a)     Click Start.

b)     In the search box type cmd

c)     Right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

d)     Type the following commands and press ENTER.

cd\
route print >routeprint.txt

Now go to C:\Drive and open the routeprint.txt file. Post the info from it.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6194
Message 5 of 7 (3,897 Views)

Excellent advice. I uninstalled and re-installed Skype and still got a (stupid) pure text interface with many txtboxes. The one asking me sign in always asked for my Skype Name. But no matter what I put into the text box, I alwasy got an error message that I should not be entering an email address. I mean, I could enter a Skype name, all "xxxx", or anything and always got an error message to NOT enter an email address in that textbox. Very poor user interface.

Nowhere on Miacrosoft support did I see how to get around this.

Deleting the SKYPE file as you suggested workded!!

PS. I'm still at a loss as to what files from the SkypeOLD folder backup that I should move back into the newly created SKYPE folder.

joel3
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 7 (1,858 Views)

If you want to restore your chat history, then the only file you need to move to the new folder is the main.db database file.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-Issues-with-Old-Skype/m-p/1654742#M153652

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6846
Message 7 of 7 (1,853 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling