Skype is freezing my computer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype is freezing my computer

Hi i have a Asus G72GX laptop, and lately ill be on a skype call and then all of a sudden, my computer just freezes up, cant move the mouse, or type anything it just freezes and i have to do a hard reset, when i restart it and it comes back up, it would do it maybe minutes later or hours depending, and ill be logged in on skype, ive tried everything, theres nothing wrong with the memory, ive tried reinstalling windows 7 twice, i also made sure that it didnt run in combablity mode, it would work for a while then it would start doing it again, i was in a call just a hour ago for a good hour and then like 10 minutes after i got off, my computer froozed for a good 30 seconds and then it unfroozed itself, i dont no what else to do, please any help would be appreciated, if you need more info let me and ill give it, please reply ASAP!!!  Thank You

Nightvamp20
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 171 (13,239 Views)

Re: Skype is freezing my computer

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 2 of 171 (13,235 Views)

uhh i think its just the usual updates windows give like updates on windows 7, and security updates for .net framework, the usual update stuff
Nightvamp20
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 171 (13,232 Views)

[ Edited ]

and also u think this can be the problem either with the skype itself or my updates?

Nightvamp20
Routine Adventurer
Message 4 of 171 (13,230 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please try what I suggested in my prior post here, in most cases, it resolves the issue.

If it does not, there are 2 more steps that will.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 171 (13,225 Views)

Ya i was in a skype call for a good 30 mins and it just froozed on me again, the froozed lasted for bout a whole minute, it seemed it got worse with the freezes :sad:

Nightvamp20
Routine Adventurer
Message 6 of 171 (13,221 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please be aware laptops can overheat quickly if their air flow ("Fan, usually on the bottom requires a flat surface to function properly") is restricted or they maintain a high CPU busy rate for long periods of time.

Note you will need to copy/paste the link below in the browser window of your choice:

ehow.com/how_5051682_check-computer-temperature.html

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 171 (13,212 Views)

[ Edited ]

ok i did but the thing is, whenever iam not in a skype call what so ever, my computer has never froozed, its only when iam in a call now when it ever freezes, so i dont think the temperature is causing it cause it would do this if it was hot and its not doing when iam not in a call, so something with skype is causing my pc to freeze for a minute (ive tried other versions by the way but they do the same thing)

Nightvamp20
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 171 (13,208 Views)

[ Edited ]

If this is a video call lasting 20-30 minutes, video is very CPU intensive, which will cause heat.

Generally, what happens when a laptop starts to overheat is that the CPU will step down to 50 percent of the total Ghz speed it could normally do, to try and help things cool down.

However, if you are using something ("Video Call") when this happens, it actually makes it worse, this step down is to avoid the possiblity of melting connections on your motherboad and also of a fire. When the CPU step-down fails to start cooling the laptop, the next thing the laptop does is freeze to protect your motherboard and internals of your laptop.

Desktop based systems rarely have these problems because they have very large fans and alot of open space which allows much more air flow that laptops.

Most laptops are not built to handle CPU busy rates of 60 percent or more for more than 15 minutes. Some actually puchase "Cooling Trays" that have extra large fans in them for the laptop to sit in, if they know they will be pushing their laptop over 60 percent CPU busy on a normal basis.

Of course, it depends on the laptop itself, but you maybe very surprised on how many others maybe having these same freeze issues, with or without Skype, if you do a search using the search engine of your choice using the Make and Model of your laptop:

Make Model overheating

or

Make Model freeze

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 171 (13,205 Views)

trust me ive looked all over and it seems that i couldnt actually find an exact solution to it, and i dont do video calls when iam on skype, just a regular skype call, but the strange thing is that iam able to do anything else on this computer, including playing a pc game, or watching vidoes on this with no problem of freezing at all, this only happens now is when iam in a regular skype call, so i think its something with skype but i just dont know what it is :sad:
Nightvamp20
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 171 (13,200 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling