Skype install not working on XP Service Pack 3

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype install not working on XP Service Pack 3

Hello,

I was on the phone last night w/ my dad to try and remedy his Skype issue and I have never heard nor seen his issue. He was able to download Skypeinstall.exe onto his comptuer (Windows XP). However, when he double-clicks to install the program onto his computer, the program gets through xx percent and some sort of box comes up saying can't read/connect to the Skype Server or Skype Download Server and to try this other download button then some other box pops up asking to selece a Network Connection then it lists BroadBand Connection 1, BroadBand Connection 2, BroadBand Connection 3, BroadBand Connection 4. Like I mentioned, I can't see these boxes as I am talking over the phone but has anyone experienced this? Is this more complicated then I think and it may require a computer-savvy tech person to go over to his house to set it up? I just can't imagine it would be this difficult to set up Skype as I never had issues on my computers. He has high-speed wireless internet so that is not the issue. I just feel bad because he is not really computer-literate. I had to explain to him what the desktop is and what an internet browser is...so as you can see it is frustrating to figure out what the issue is 1000 miles away. The only computer-savvy person he knows charges $60/hr and he can't afford that so I am trying to figure this out over the phone and web forums.

Thank you to anyone who might have a clue what I am talking about.

asc_wxgrl18
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (4,644 Views)

Re: Skype install not working on XP Service Pack 3

Please try this full installer file: www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11874
Message 2 of 3 (4,559 Views)

Re: Skype install not working on XP Service Pack 3

I could have my dad try that. What exactly is the different because this full installer link and the download he used off Skype.com? I am seeing many different installs on these forums and wondering what all the difference is/where they came from/do they all work??
asc_wxgrl18
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 3 (4,549 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling