Skype has stopped working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype has stopped working

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times, cleaned Skype's folders (this delays the error so it's not immediate but), installed a lower version, installed the Beta version, and NOTHING.

I have searched these forums for hours for other help and none of the methods have worked. :/ 

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

You are saying that you have tried to “clean” Skype folders, but have you actually tried to reset all Skype settings?

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

View solution in original post
Mirani53
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 40 (4,007 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working

Open Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for any recent error messages with timestamp corresponding to Skype crash. You may copy and paste here the text from the General tab.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7056
Message 2 of 40 (3,997 Views)

Faulting application name: Skype.exe, version: 6.1.0.129, time stamp: 0x50ec1757
Faulting module name: Skype.exe, version: 6.1.0.129, time stamp: 0x50ec1757
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x007a1fae
Faulting process id: 0x1184
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce41e11ce0f82b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
Report Id: 5ffd6826-add4-11e2-9aa4-5cf9dd3d6090

Faulting application name: Skype.exe, version: 6.3.0.105, time stamp: 0x512fa5e2
Faulting module name: Skype.exe, version: 6.3.0.105, time stamp: 0x512fa5e2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x007b480e
Faulting process id: 0x247c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce41dcdd014606
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
Report Id: 26b51fd5-add0-11e2-9aa4-5cf9dd3d6090

For both versions :/
Mirani53
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 40 (3,993 Views)

Please, run the DirectX diagnostics tool.

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostics program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file. You may attach this file to your post. Perhaps some useful information on the system and potential problems will be to find in this file.

Be aware that you will have to zip this file before attaching it here.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 40 (3,990 Views)

Attached :/ 

Mirani53
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 40 (3,984 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nothing unusual appears in the diagnostics file.

Do you exhibit the crashes on video or audio calls?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 40 (3,977 Views)

The crash happens the moment I boot up Skype. I had just gotten back to my laptop from leaving it on overnight and was taking it out of the display turns black mode and the moment I brought Skype up, it had that message.

I do not do audio or video stuff so I was only chatting with some people. 

After that, everytime I just went to boot it up after the initial crash, that same message popped up. If I "cleaned" the Skype folders, I would have a few seconds (about enough time to click one of the messages) before the crash happened again.

Everything else is working fine--it is just Skype. 

Mirani53
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 40 (3,975 Views)

You are saying that you have tried to “clean” Skype folders, but have you actually tried to reset all Skype settings?

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 40 (3,970 Views)

That seems to have caused it to work, although, still not sure what caused the issue in the first place :/ 

Mirani53
Routine Adventurer
Message 9 of 40 (3,965 Views)

The issue might have been caused by corruption of some files in the %appdata%\Skype folder. Sometimes this may happen when laptop is in a "sleep" mode and Skype is still running.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 40 (3,962 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling