Re: Skype has stopped working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype has stopped working

[ Edited ]

I have searched the forums for a solution to this problem, but none of the fixes seem to work.

Windows 7 32 bit
Skype version: 5.5 but now 5.7
IE9

When I turned on my computer today, the first thing I tried to do was log in to Skype. To my surprise, I got "Skype has stopped working", which in turn shuts down Skype when I hit "ok". I get logged in, but only for a split second. Tried searching the web, and got lots of different methods to try and fix this issue. 

Thing I have tried this far:
- Deleting "shared.xml", "Config.xml" "temp-", "LOCK" and "Journal" files. And any variation of those.
- Upgrading to Skype Beta version 5.7
- Installing and un-installing several different versions of Skype.
- Upgrading to IE9 and subsequently trying the "Fix it" method.
- Running "as administrator" in compatibality mode. Also tried to run it in compatibility mode "Windows 7", but read on here that none of those should be on. They didn't work anyway, so now I have them unchecked.
- Tried to update my drivers, but they were already up to date.

And I have probably tried several more things, but these are just the things that come to mind at the top of my head. 

What more can I try to make this work? 

Edit: Uploaded a photo, in case I didn't make myself understood on what my issue is.

Checked the Event Viewer, and this is the error message that pops up when trying to start Skype:

Faulting application name: Skype.exe, version: 5.7.0.123, time stamp: 0x4eba90b3
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e2111c0
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x0000d36f
Faulting process id: 0x968
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccb5127a2f6d94
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: bc27d43c-2105-11e1-bebf-002185974c0c

Please use plain text.
RafiQ
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (710 Views)

Have you tried to reboot your computer? Sometimes, such a trivial operation can resolve the problem. You can also try to do a more radical reset of Skype settings. Quit Skype and rename the %appdata%\skype folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6399
Message 2 of 5 (533 Views)

Thanks for your response.

Rebooting was probably the first thing I tried, but to no avail. Also tried your other trick, but that did not work either. 

Please use plain text.
RafiQ
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (524 Views)

Is there anything else I might try?

Please use plain text.
RafiQ
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 5 (493 Views)

I’m not sure how much this will help, but if the reason for your problem are some odd settings in Windows registry, then you may try this:

Follow the procedure described here to create a “portable” version of Skype on your computer:

http://community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/Searching-for-a-person-in-a-specific-country/m-p/17...

However, instead of using the version 4.2 as mentioned in the above post, make use of a copy of the already installed Skype.exe version 5.7.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6399
Message 5 of 5 (475 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling