Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Reply
Accepted Solution

Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

I have Windows Vista. When I log into Skype, I keep getting a message that skype has stopped working and that windows will try to find a solution but then everything closes. When I first got this message, the proposed solution was to download a new version of skype which I did but I keep getting "skype stopped working" message. How do I fix it?

This widget could not be displayed.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution


vikablond4 wrote:

Oh, I just re-read your suggestion - you said NOT to stay on that old release. So what do I do now that we know the new version is not working on my computer and the old one does?



Yes, now try to upgrade:

 

Please try downloading/installing from here and choose the run or open option when prompted: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

 

If this fails, please delete your IE ("Internet Explorer") browser cache, cookies and temp files and try again using a IE browser window, even if IE is not your default browser.

View solution in original post
vikablond4
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 10
Registered: 17-10-2011
Message 1 of 57 (19,372 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

I use Windows 7. And I too get this error when it used the webcam it seems. The error goes a bit farther though and I get the "blue screen of death" and dumps data to a file and reboots. After the upgrade, It keeps trying to take a snapshot, or so I think, as it shows a black cam window and the blue screen error repeats each time I logon! any way to stop this so I can reconfigure my webcam in skype?

kwalker1969
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Posts: 1
Registered: 18-10-2011
Message 2 of 57 (19,129 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

vikablond4, is this still an issue with you?

 

I seem to have a similar issue now that reinstalling / most commonly-suggested fixes don't seem to help to resolve.

appocomaster
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 7
Registered: 01-11-2011
Message 3 of 57 (19,078 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

Unfortunately, I still have the same problem with skype not working. The problem details it gives me are below. Any solutions, ANYONE???? Thank you!

Problem signature:

  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

  Application Name: Skype.exe

  Application Version: 5.5.0.119

Application Timestamp: 4e803bca

  Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll

  Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18449

  Fault Module Timestamp: 4da47967

  Exception Code: c00000fd

  Exception Offset: 0003fc56

  OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

  Locale ID: 4105

  Additional Information 1: fd00

  Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

  Additional Information 3: fd00

  Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

 

vikablond4
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 10
Registered: 17-10-2011
Message 4 of 57 (19,060 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista


vikablond4 wrote:

Unfortunately, I still have the same problem with skype not working. The problem details it gives me are below. Any solutions, ANYONE???? Thank you!

Problem signature:

  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

  Application Name: Skype.exe

  Application Version: 5.5.0.119

Application Timestamp: 4e803bca

  Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll

  Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18449

  Fault Module Timestamp: 4da47967

  Exception Code: c00000fd

  Exception Offset: 0003fc56

  OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

  Locale ID: 4105

  Additional Information 1: fd00

  Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

  Additional Information 3: fd00

  Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

 


Please follow these Steps:

 

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

 

Stop Skype.

 

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

 

Try to launch Skype.

 

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

 

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... , what happens?

 

If you see a message box that contains a connect button, please click on the connect button.

 

If the page fails to display, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

 

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

 

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

 

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

 

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

 

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

 

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

 

You can install the Current release by clicking this link: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

Please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

 

 

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

 

Also, what operating system are you on?

 

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

 

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Posts: 12505
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 5 of 57 (19,051 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried them all and it did not solve the problem. I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my computer (which is an Acer) 32 bit operating system.
When I followed the link it took me to my Skype account (once I logged in) - after that Skype was still not working and giving me the "Skype stopped working message". I have all the updates to harsware and software. What else can I do to resolve the problem?

vikablond4
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 10
Registered: 17-10-2011
Message 6 of 57 (19,046 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista


vikablond4 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried them all and it did not solve the problem. I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my computer (which is an Acer) 32 bit operating system.
When I followed the link it took me to my Skype account (once I logged in) - after that Skype was still not working and giving me the "Skype stopped working message". I have all the updates to harsware and software. What else can I do to resolve the problem?


You are very welcome.


Please follow the "Error 1603" instructions here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Install-Issues-Check/td-p/156736

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Posts: 12505
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 7 of 57 (19,041 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

Thanks, I tried the solution you are suggesting for error 1602 (i.e uninstalling skype and then installing it following your link). Unfortunately it still does not solve the problem. Skype still allows me to sign in - right after that a window pops up "Set up your profile picture" and a couple seconds after that I get a message "Skype stopped working". What else can I do to fix this problem and allow Skype to work again? Thanks so much! I am really looking forward to resolving this issue.

vikablond4
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 10
Registered: 17-10-2011
Message 8 of 57 (19,034 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista


vikablond4 wrote:

Thanks, I tried the solution you are suggesting for error 1602 (i.e uninstalling skype and then installing it following your link). Unfortunately it still does not solve the problem. Skype still allows me to sign in - right after that a window pops up "Set up your profile picture" and a couple seconds after that I get a message "Skype stopped working". What else can I do to fix this problem and allow Skype to work again? Thanks so much! I am really looking forward to resolving this issue.


 

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

NOTE: If This is a 64 bit system, please look in the program files (x86) folder

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Posts: 12505
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 9 of 57 (19,032 Views)

Re: Skype has stopped working - Windows Vista

Thanks, I tried your suggestions. When I uninstalled Skype in Windows Control Pane/Remove programs it did not prompt me to save my history.  I did remove the file shared.xml and other skype folders. There was no config.xml files (but I deleted all skype folders anyway). After this,  I did install the normal release as you suggested. HOwever, this did not resolve the problem. Again, as soon as I sign in, I get a message that Skype has stopped working.... Anything else I can try?


 

vikablond4
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 10
Registered: 17-10-2011
Message 10 of 57 (19,023 Views)
Reply

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling