Skype hangs my PC...all the time!!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype hangs my PC...all the time!!

Help please!

For some reason, my skype keeps hanging the computer. And i'm sure its skype, cause no other program seems to have this effect. I have a very good configuration, but i have been told that it is because of compatibility issues with x64 (bit) Operating systems. I have Windows Vista. I read about a solution online by deleting some shared.xml file, but that only works for once or twice. then i have to uninstall and reinstall skype or not use IT AT ALL!! 

REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP!!!

thatarchiguy
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (5,847 Views)

Re: Skype hangs my PC...all the time!!

thatarchiguy wrote:

Help please!

For some reason, my skype keeps hanging the computer. And i'm sure its skype, cause no other program seems to have this effect. I have a very good configuration, but i have been told that it is because of compatibility issues with x64 (bit) Operating systems. I have Windows Vista. I read about a solution online by deleting some shared.xml file, but that only works for once or twice. then i have to uninstall and reinstall skype or not use IT AT ALL!! 

REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP!!!

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

A new version has just been released September 29th, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

This new version is 5.6.0.105 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 653
Message 2 of 6 (5,843 Views)

Re: Skype hangs my PC...all the time!! - SOLVED

Hi

I had this problem, Uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt help, this is what i did

1. uninstall all Skype related software (in my case: SKype, SkypePM and Facebook Conector or something like that)

2. Delete folders  %APPDATA%\Skype and %APPDATA%\SkypePM

3. Reboot and run chkdsk (for the many hangs)

4. reinstall a new version of Skype (5.6.59.110)

Now it's working.

I think the problem is, the unninstall doesn't clean the   %APPDATA%\Skype at all, so you better get rid of the full folder. Be careful, you could have downloaded items there, or pictures. 

Hope this helps

regards

Alex

aleangelico
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (5,709 Views)

Please make sure Shype WIFI has not been enabled in the desktop's Skype program / options. This option needs to be disabled unless you are in fact going to use this Skype program to communicate via WiFi. if your primary connection is via the Internet this option must be disabled at this time.

Scooter422
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 6 (5,492 Views)

If you are using an Antivirus for example or a firewall program, they keep doing a realtime scan over the files written on your RAM. Sometimes the shared.xml since it contains all the connection preferences gets bigger while the Antivirus scanning it also. Eventually the RAM will explode :bigsmile: because all these files running on them.

So , please enable Skype as a trusted program on your firewall , Antivirus list and hopefully the issue will be resolved.

(also note that if you are using another VoIP program , it may conflict with the UDP port of your computer causing your computer to hang.)
NoxxeR
The Documentator
Kudos: 11
Message 5 of 6 (5,487 Views)

why my skype hang up

khalidameen
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 6 (4,961 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling