Skype freezes on Windows 7

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype freezes on Windows 7

Hi,

I've tried to log in to Skype but when I type my credentials and click on Sign In button, the whole machine freezes. No response, only way to use it again is to hard reset my computer.

I've tried it with 5.3 and again with 5.5. I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with SP1. Computer is a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop. Drivers and system are up-to-date.

I've checked all the forums and tried all the solutions but none of that works.

Can someone help me to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Marton

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

It seems that you have your Windows system running in debug mode. This alone can prevent Skype from functioning.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type msconfig.exe and Press Enter. This will open the System Configuration window. Open the “Boot” tab and then click the “Advanced options” button. If you see there a Debug option selected, then uncheck this option. Press OK. Exit msconfig and reboot your computer.

It can also be useful to disable the WMP Network Service from starting with Windows. It’s a very resource demanding service and can cause a lot of problems.

View solution in original post
martoncsiki
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 59 (2,663 Views)

Re: Skype freezes on Windows 7

If you are usng Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 2 of 59 (2,356 Views)

I've checked all the events in log and I've found only Group Policy and NTP related errors because I'm used this domain joined computer at home without accessing corporate domain.

Double checked and all drivers are up-to-date.

Any more ideas?

Marton

martoncsiki
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 59 (2,339 Views)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 59 (2,336 Views)

As I wrote in my first post I've tried everything that I can find in this forum but nothing helps. The Skype is installed with default setting on Windows 7, so no compatibility mode is used.

Can I run Skype with debug flags or etc. to have detailed trace logging to know which API call causes this issue?

Marton

martoncsiki
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 59 (2,333 Views)

[ Edited ]

This WILL Delete ALL Skype History

Please make sure that as impossible as it seems that there is no Skype.exe running, you can do this by starting the Windows Task Manager keyboard keys all at once CTRL ALT DEL, click the processese tab, we need to make sure that there are no running Skpe.exe processes or SkypeSetup...exe running processes, if ou see any please select then, and click the "End Process" button for each of them.

NOTE: Revo creates a restore point and does a full registry backup as well, automatically.

Please install this, please note that you will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

revouninstaller.com

Once Revo is installed, if it did not start, please start it.

From the Revo main window please do:

Commands -> Forced Uninstall

Please make sure the Advanced Radio Button is checked.

Next in the "Programs Exact Name" please enter:

Please click the next button. Note it can take some time for this to complete.

Once completed, please press the "Scan" button to look for anything that might still be left over from prior Skype installs.

Please click the "Select All" button, and then the "Delete" button.

You may be presented with files and flolders left over, again, Please click the "Select All" button, and then the "Delete" button.

Please Exit Revo and Reboot.

Please now install the normal release, again you will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice, please save the download to your C: drive, once downloaded please run the installer from your hard drive:

skype.com/go/getskype-full?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 59 (2,331 Views)

No success... :sad:

More to do?

martoncsiki
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 59 (2,324 Views)

For Testing ONLY! Please do NOT stay on this release and post back if this works.

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. You will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=82?download

This will install the older version of Skype.

How are things now?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 59 (2,318 Views)

It's working :happy:

Thanks for help.

martoncsiki
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 59 (2,314 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, now lets see if we can install the current client again.

Install Over what is there now, please do NOT uninstall what you have.

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top upper left of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

You really don't want to stay on a very old version of the Skype client unless there is no other choice at the moment.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 59 (2,312 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling