Skype freezes during call/making a call

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype freezes during call/making a call

and this problem recently started occurring. 

Every time I make a call it starts to glitch and then during the call it just goes really bad to the point where I have to ctrl+alt+del to end the call. I have the latest version and even tried installing the business version. 

Windows 7 64bit 

Downloaded skype yesterday so I believe it's the latest

Not going through wifi

SasaBt
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 23 (10,961 Views)

Re: Skype freezes during call/making a call

SasaBt wrote:

and this problem recently started occurring. 

Every time I make a call it starts to glitch and then during the call it just goes really bad to the point where I have to ctrl+alt+del to end the call. I have the latest version and even tried installing the business version. 

Windows 7 64bit 

Downloaded skype yesterday so I believe it's the latest

Not going through wifi

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 23 (10,849 Views)

I've been having the same problem just since yesterday. I'd like to know what the problem is, too.
sunshinekttn
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 23 (10,845 Views)

They are not any errors logged during. As I stated before skype works fine for IMing back and forth. However, when I am receiving a call or making a call it starts to become all glitchy and freeze up on me. This just recently started happening. 

SasaBt
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 23 (10,821 Views)

its happening to alot of people.  skype is really slipping.  i'm about to go to another provider.  its happening on all my pc's and all my kids pc's with all different configurations and i'm tired of trying to figure out what is wrong with it for them.  sucks that i have money on some of these accounts.  i'm just fed up.  took them almost 6 months to get the crap program to work on my phone and the quality still sucks.  and now this...  as soon as i connect to a call it says skype has stopped working on 6 different pc's

caos901
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 23 (10,431 Views)

The quickest method currently to resolve this, is to install over what you have using the beta release here: http://skype.com/go/getskype-beta

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 6 of 23 (10,428 Views)

The problem is that Skype still freezes even with the new Beta version. My computer works perfectly fine, it's just that when I attempt to make a call, it freezes on the ringing part. Any ideas what to do? The computer is running Windows XP

coribaby
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 23 (9,742 Views)

coribaby wrote:

The problem is that Skype still freezes even with the new Beta version. My computer works perfectly fine, it's just that when I attempt to make a call, it freezes on the ringing part. Any ideas what to do? The computer is running Windows XP

Try with disabled Firewall and Antivirus.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6955
Message 8 of 23 (9,731 Views)

coribaby wrote:

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Note: You will need your password to re-log on, and re-set any options from default

If still the issue persists;

Here is a Mr. Fixit

Fix Windows system performance problems on slow Windows computers

Click the Run Now Button.

Here is another Mr. FixIT:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Click the Run Now Button.

See if it resolves the issue. If not,

Temporary disable the anti-virus & Do all Windows Updates, including Software and Hardware, not just the Critical Updates. In most cases, this will resloves the issue.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6469
Message 9 of 23 (9,724 Views)

HI,

You solution works once only and then after one call I have to repeat the same  procedure otherwise the computer freezes. Do you have any other solution which I can try?

@Skype developers: please have a look at this matter as problem is prevalent in recent version of skype.

Regards,

Vibhor

vibhorkhanna
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 23 (9,069 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling