Skype doesn't recognize my computer's camera

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype doesn't recognize my computer's camera

I have an hp laptop computer that has an integrated camera to it. I got a second display monitor for it (that doesn't have a camera) and used video skype with the camera on my computer, with no problems. The next day, I tried to use the video call with skype again, without the monitor, and it said that Skype couldn't find a webcam. I can't make any video calls even though my computer does have a camera! I uninstalled it and re-installed it again, but it didn't work. It still doesn't recognize my integrated camera. What should I do?

ggrace
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (5,391 Views)

Re: Skype doesn't recognize my computer's camera

I have just had the same issue. I was using skype fine just last night, using the integral camera on my laptop but today it just wont recognise it!

lucywhiter
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 7 (5,387 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey all...

I just updated Skype for the new version and it messed my camera up as well... Right before the update I had a video call with my sister and it was working perfectly, then I updated Skype and now it doesn't recognize my cam as the cam I have (which is integrated on my Toshiba laptop) - instead, it calls it something else, setting it up as a USB cam (?!)... And when I go to Skype/Tools/Options/Video Settings, I can't fix it... :sad: My image is flipped and the flipping option is gone... It's a mess! If anyone has a solution for that, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts!
PS: have you guys tried the "Skype/Tools/Options/Video Settings" to try to figure out your cam yet? It might help. :happy:

bcirelli
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (5,269 Views)

Everyone says go to Tools options etc. for settings... uh I don't have a Tools option..

I have a preferences tab under Skype.. that's it  I have older version Skype2.8.0.866 as

It won't let me download newer version. Says not compatible with my OS which is

Mac OSX Power PC G5 Leopard (Non Intel) I am new to MAC, and am very frustrated with

this whole mess. I downloaded the macam driver software thinking that would help.

I just bought Icecam2 thinking it would be plug n play..... WRONG.... Can anyone help me?

a razorblade sandwich is sounding pretty good right now..(just kidding) :sad:

bcirelli wrote:

Hey all...

I just updated Skype for the new version and it messed my camera up as well... Right before the update I had a video call with my sister and it was working perfectly, then I updated Skype and now it doesn't recognize my cam as the cam I have (which is integrated on my Toshiba laptop) - instead, it calls it something else, setting it up as a USB cam (?!)... And when I go to Skype/Tools/Options/Video Settings, I can't fix it... :sad: My image is flipped and the flipping option is gone... It's a mess! If anyone has a solution for that, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts!
PS: have you guys tried the "Skype/Tools/Options/Video Settings" to try to figure out your cam yet? It might help. :happy:

delmarcy
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 7 (5,000 Views)

You're reading and posting in a Windows forum which is why what everyone says doesn't apply to you.  :wink:

Look for a simliar problem and possible solution in the Mac forum:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Mac/bd-p/Video_Mac

If you don't find anything directly related, start your own thread there.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 916
Message 5 of 7 (4,998 Views)

Same issue after updating Skype. Someone help, please!!!
Monrealka
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 7 (4,796 Views)

Same issue.....
justjude99
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (4,624 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling