Skype doesn't log in, I can't search old messages

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype doesn't log in, I can't search old messages

Dear Members!

I have two problems with the newest Skype version (5.5.0.113)

(I just reinstalled my computer, made all the windows updates then I installed the newest available Skype.)

The problems: 

1. when I turn on the computer, Skype starts, but it doesn't log in.

In the setting menu at General Settings I only find "Start Skype when I start Windows", which is checked, but I don't find anything that would say "Log in when network connetion is availabe" or something like that. What should I check in order to make Skype log in automatically?

2. Even though before reinstalling my computer I saved the folder with my login name from application data/skype, and after I installed skype I copied it back into the freshly generated folder, I can't browse previous messages. Why / what must I do in order to reach them?

Thank you in advance,

Gabor

This widget could not be displayed.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

FelixRaven wrote:

My Skype name is holics_gabor. Before I reinstalled my computer I copied the folder named holics_gabor (from Document and Settings\my profile\Application Data\Skype) onto a drive that I didn't intend to format.

Then after reinstalling my computer and installing Skype (and logging in) I exited Skype then I simply overwrote the new holics_gabor folder with the saved one.

Should I delete the new one first just then copy the old one there?

Please delete the new one first then copy.

View solution in original post
FelixRaven
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 23 (2,168 Views)

Re: Skype doesn't log in, I can't search old messages

Did you place only the folders that matched your Skype names in question in this location that you can enter using a run command window:

%appdata%\skype

If so, do you see those folders with those Skype names in question there?

If you do, please stop Skype, and delete those folders and copy your older folders with the same names back again. Restart Skype, what happens?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 575
Message 2 of 23 (1,914 Views)

Thank you for the quick reply, but sorry, but I don't totally understand what you mean.

I typed in the command line that you wrote, and this folder came up: c:\Documents and Settings\Holics Gábor\Application Data\Skype\

(I wanted to link a screenshot here, but the forum engine didn't let me do that.)

What should I look for? What do you mean by "those folders with those Skype names in question"? If you mean my Skype partners, I don't see them (their Skype login names) anywhere. Actually I just checked on my other computer, and I don't see my Skype partners' names there either.

I only see my login name, which folder I overwrote with the saved one.

Skype doesn't even mention those things it mentioned before over the text area, like the last 1 day, 7 days, 30 day, etc.

About automatically signing in: I checked the startup window of Skype by signing out, and both options are checked, but still, Skype doesn't sign in automatically, after automatically starting when I turn on my computer. 

Kind regards,

Gabor

FelixRaven
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 23 (1,908 Views)

[ Edited ]

You are very welcome.

Yes I mean replace the folder that currenty has the same name as the Skype name you wish to view history for, with the folder that matches that name from the folders you saved.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 23 (1,906 Views)

Sorry, I don't understand your answer. I don't find any other folders that are named by a Skype user, but mine. Not in the actual and not in the saved folder, and not even on another computer.

Do you have a suggestion for the second problem? (Skype doesn't sign in automatically.)

Thanks,

Gabor

FelixRaven
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 23 (1,898 Views)

Dear Sir!

Can we talk on Skype? Then I can shere my desktop so you would see what's the exact situation here.

Thanks,

Gabor

FelixRaven
Routine Adventurer
Message 6 of 23 (1,892 Views)

Sorry for the tone but I'm really disappointed already!

What the hell happened to Skype? Microsoft's entering the picture has this quick bad effect? Did Skype start to run the downward slope this fast in liability and fuctionality like everything that becomes MS property?

I uninstalled it, cleaned the registry, deleted everything from everywhere, downloaded it again, and installed it aganin, but the damned thing won't sign in automatically.

The exact status at startup is not a grey tray icon like formerly, but a tray icon that is white with a green contour. I have to double click on it in order to kick Skype's ass to make it sign in.

The interesting thing is that, when I switch connections in order to work with vpn, after a few seconds being offline, Skype does sign in automatically, but it won't at computer startup.

FelixRaven
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 23 (1,876 Views)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%..., what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the regular release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 23 (1,870 Views)

Thanks, I'll follow through soon, as soon as I'll have a little time for trying all the steps needed.

Kind regards,

Gabor

FelixRaven
Routine Adventurer
Message 9 of 23 (1,853 Views)

Dear Sir!

I tried everything you said, but none of those steps succeed!

My system:

I'm using XP SP3 which is continuously updated by Windows Update.
(I use my system in Hungarian language.)

I Installed Skype only after all the updates happened when installing my computer starting with formatting the HDD.

My computer's hardware details:

ASUS P4P 800 SE (Has the last available Bios, and chipset drivers.)

Video: Sapphire ATi HD2600 XT with the latest Catalyst hotfix.

Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy with the latest available driver.

I also have IE8, Firefox 6.0 and Chrome. Each thing is up to date.

I think I should mention that I use a VPN connection too, but before reinstalling my computer it didn't bother Skype. (I think it isn't the case now either.)

I'm connected to the internet through a router and a cable modem.

The same config worked well with Skype before the reinstallation of my computer.

Step 1. I skipped, because I use XP.

Step 2.

If I open the link, what should happen? I didn't see anything special. I had to log in with my Skype name and password. What should I have expected?

The Internet setting that you mentioned, I followed through like this:

I done the reset on advanced, then on the Connections tab in the low right corner there was a settings button for LAN. There I found this "Automatically detect settings" checkbox, with other checkboxes, but none was checked. (I checked the "Automatically detect settings" box, so now it is checked, but it didn't solve the problem.)

On the connections tab there was a setting button on the top right too, but if I clicked on that an internet connection wizard started but I cancelled that.

Then there was a phone and vpn settings section, where also was a settings button which opened a panel where there was an "Automatically detect settings" checkbox, (and only that was checked) but it seems, this settings panel only belongs to my vpn connection.

(On the connections tab, in the Phone and vpn settings box, only the vpn is present.)

Step 3. Because none of the above helped, I tried the third step, but that didn't lead to a success either.

Additional question for 3rd step: I had the current release anyway, what difference I should have expected by installing it again?

Things what I also tried:

When I turn on my computer, on the tray I see Skype with an offline icon. I can make Skype log in ether by double clicking on the tray icon, or clicking on Skype in start menu. This gave me a bypassing* idea: what if I copy Skype's icon into the automatic startup** folder of Start Menu? The answer was: then Skype didn't start at all. (At least it wasn't present on the tray.)

(*Using several MS software I had to learn thinking in bypasses. Many time they work.

** I don't know the English name for that section where I should put those programs' icons which I want to run automatically at startup.)

Something else that also bothers me concerning Skype now:

At system shutdown Skype logs out (I hear the logout sound) then that dreaded alert panel appears which says Windows has a trouble with shutting down an app: Skype. The Indicator stripe fills, and then the manual shutdown button remains. If I don't do anything, after 10-15 seconds it disappears, and the system shuts down without a problem.

My support request:

Can Skype developers send a tracing software that can help us to find what is possibly conflicting with Skype? Please don't recommend reinstalling my computer, it takes two days to set everything up as I got used to it, and everything else works fine!

Or can someone possibly checking my computer with some remote method?

Thanks a lot for your help so far, I hope we'll find a solution soon!

Kind regards,

Gabor

FelixRaven
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 23 (1,826 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling