Skype dishonest & manipulative with Quit / sign ou...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype dishonest & manipulative with Quit / sign out message that is nonsense.

Skype are beginning to annoy me to the point I will start using google+

1/ there is this dishonest and manipulative message saying "are you sure you want to quit skype, if you do you will no longer be able to get instant messages and calls" what rubbish!!! if you have signed out, you cannot get messages and calls. Quitting the app AFTER that makes no different at all, so this is a nonsense message designed to manipulate you into keeping skype running. I simply HATE that dishonesty. 

There used to be an option to not see this dishonest message, but that has been removed.

2/ there should be a way to Quit without having to first sign out and then quit. This is basic, and is now obviously part of this awful and creepy way skype is now operating, tie ins with facebook etc...

yuk.

Mark.

UK.

marmadal
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (3,694 Views)

Re: Skype dishonest & manipulative with Quit / sign out message that is nonsense.

There is definitely still the option to check “Do not ask me again” and the confirmation dialog will not appear again. The only situation when this option is not available is if you use Task Manager to kill the Skype process. The correct way to shut down Skype is to use Skype icon in the system try. Right click and select Quit. And you absolutely don’t need to sign out before using Quit.

ConfirmQuit.jpg

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6415
Message 2 of 14 (3,594 Views)

Re: Skype dishonest & manipulative with Quit / sign out message that is nonsense.

The "Do not ask me again" box doesn't appear on my version, just updated. Windows 7, 64/bit

hinchy
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 14 (3,517 Views)

hinchy wrote:

The "Do not ask me again" box doesn't appear on my version, just updated. Windows 7, 64/bit

The 'do not ask me again' box always appears when you quit AFTER you have signed out because the 'do not ask me again' feature can only be applied to a specific Skype Name

if you Quit while signed in, you are presented with the 'do not ask me again' dialog until you exercise the option

so that likely means that in the past you (or someone else) Quit Skype while you were signed in AND the the option to not be prompted again was taken

this setting is stored in your config.xml file and can be reversed by manually editing the config.xml while Skype is NOT running

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 303
Message 4 of 14 (3,501 Views)

Neil - there are two different use cases here:
1. user launches Skype, logs in and uses Skype, right clicks on taskbar icon for Skype, selects Quit. at this point, the user is presented with the confirmation dialog box, with the option to not be asked again. check the box and quit, the confirmation dialog box does not appear again, and this is the important part, capitalized for emphasis, not yelling: THIS ONLY WORKS FOR USERS IF THEY QUIT *WHILE* THEY ARE LOGGED IN.
2. The second use case is this: user launches Skype, but does not log in. at this point the user may click on the "X" to close the login window or from the menu bar in the login screen, click Skype | close. either way, the login does not close, it just minimizes to the task bar. if the user then right-clicks the taskbar icon and clicks Quit, THEY STILL GET THE CONFIRMATION DIALOG BOX, WITHOUT THE OPTION TO NOT BE ASKED AGAIN. ZZZ.png

This is the issue: if you just launch skype without signing in and try to close it, you always get the confirmation dialog. 

This is truly a bug because the message does not make sense. if you have not logged in, you cant recieve or send messages anyway. 

I am sure Skype would fix this if they fully understood the scenario as i have described.

I dont know how to get this message to them, however.

yenkoz28
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (3,395 Views)

[ Edited ]

sorry, but there is no bug

you may not like the wording, but the statement in the box is technically correct

it is perfectly true and painfully obvious to say that, with Skype not running, you will not be able to send or receive messages, and it does not matter whether you are signed in at the time you Quit or not

the reason many users complain about seeing the prompt is because they don't expect to see it at all, ever

when they had formerly Quit while still signed in, they were given the option to NOT see the prompt in the future, and many exercise this option

they just don't realize that, for those occasions when they sign out first (before quitting Skype), there is no way for Skype to know that this user, in fact, exercised the option to not see the prompt (that setting is stored in the user's profile and they are NOT signed in)

this issue is about whether users see the prompt when they Quit, not about the wording

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 14 (3,392 Views)

just in case there are some that do not realize this:

while you are signed in, if you close the graphic user interface (GUI) by clicking the X in the top right corner, that is all you have done

if only the GUI is closed, then Skype continues to run in the background, and you are still signed in

you will continue to receive messages and other notifications

if you then Quit Skype, Skype will honor whether you took the option to suppress the prompt or not
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (3,386 Views)

Neil - thanks for taking the time to respond.

May I ask, did you step through the second use case as described?

After doing so, or if you alredy have, I would like to know your opinion on the following:

If you have simply clicked on Skype from the start menu, by accident, what logical purpose is served by the confirmation dialog?

I.e. if the user has not logged in, why inform them that they can not use Skype if they quit? Certainly they must realize this, as they have not logged in, correct?

yenkoz28
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (3,385 Views)

I am afraid you lack a fundamental understanding of what the Skype client does in the background while the user is NOT signed in
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (3,382 Views)

Neil - 

appreciate your timely response.

It does seem somewhat abbreviated. Am I to infer that you understand the scenario posed?

If so, could you render an opinion?

If not, could you explain what you mean when you refer to "an understanding of what Skype does when the user is not logged in"?

Thanks in advance for your response.

yenkoz28
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 14 (3,379 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling