Skype contacts showing offline when they're not, c...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype contacts showing offline when they're not, can't call them yet I can Skype Out

[ Edited ]

I have just installed Skype 5.8.0.158 and am finding that although I can sign in to Skype, and even Skype out, I cannot see all online contacts - they are showing as offline, even when they are not.

I had already noticed some time ago (using Skype on another computer) that all the same contacts always show as being online and all the same ones show as offline. In other words, their status does not seem to update.

I now discover that a friend who is online right now, and who has not blocked me, is showing as offline. And I cannot Skype him - nor can he Skype me.

So there seems to be something wrong with the interface between my Skype or my Skype account and the Skype server.

i tried clicking my status offline for 5 seconds and then back online, as suggested in some forums, but that did not work.

I also tried quitting and reopening Skype and that did not work.

I have AVG free anti-virus, which I tried disabling temporarily, but that did not work.

Ditto with Windows Firewall, where I made sure to delete the Skype exception and reinstate it as an exception to make sure I had the right version.

I also tried restarting my computer and that did not work.

Is there somethingI am missing?

Earlier, had tried using an old version (3.:cool: in case my old computer couldn't cope with a recent version of Skype, but since that didn't work, ended up instaling the latest version.

Using Windows XP Service Pack 3 on an AMD Turion 64 with 1.79GHz and 384 MB of RAM. The internet connection is wi-fi (BT Internet Home Hub) and is working just fine with Firefox when normal web browsing.

amrlisbon
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 22 (36,645 Views)

Re: Skype contacts showing offline when they're not, can't call them yet I can Skype Out

[ Edited ]

I'd suggest you and the contact who's always showing offline each delete the other from your Contact lists.  Then one of you should send a new contact request to be accepted by the other person.

This has helped some others who have had the problem where a specific contact always shows offline when they're actually online.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 855
Message 2 of 22 (36,509 Views)

Re: Skype contacts showing offline when they're not, can't call them yet I can Skype Out

Thanks - I'm going to give that a whirl. My friend is in transit at the moment but I'll get him to do that.

However, even when using the sign-in of the person I installed Skype on the computer for to send my friend a contact request, he apparently didn't get it.

On her Skype, he just has a question mark next to his name.

On my Skype, he is shown as offline.

Still, fingers crossed.

amrlisbon
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 22 (36,506 Views)

It definitely didn't work.

He is online but I still see him a offline.

And he didn't receive my friend request, sent from my signin.

He also didn't receive the request from the person whose computer this is, sent from their Skype signin.

amrlisbon
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 22 (36,503 Views)

How are you seeing he's offline if you removed him from your Contacts list?  Once you've sent him a new contact request you should see an icon with a ? in it next to his name until he accepts your request.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 22 (36,499 Views)

You're right - that's what I meant.

Now have managed to call, although he goes on and offline unpredictably... internet problems at one end or the other, perhaps.

Thanks very much for your help.

amrlisbon
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 22 (36,496 Views)

Ok.  I hope it settles down for you.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 22 (36,494 Views)

I am also having the same problem, I ahve even changed the folder name hoping something would happen. All that happened is now I can't see their photos. I have already tries your method and it didn't work . any other ideas???

Iguana2009
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 22 (36,486 Views)

Re: Skype contacts showing offline when they're not, can't call them

We downloaded the latest skype for mac.  What else can we do to get them back online?  They can't reach us and we can't reach them.  Does the elimination of the contact and then asking for another request work for macs?  My brother did send a request, which we accepted but he still remains unavailable.

tomamend1
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 22 (36,443 Views)

Re: Skype contacts showing offline when they're not, can't call them

There's no guarantee that removing and re-adding a contact will help but it can't hurt to try it.

You might also try to control-click on the contact you want to call, and then click on Call on the menu that comes up.  Sometimes that will kick-start a contact to online when they are online but have been showing offline.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 22 (36,442 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling