Re: Skype can't connect

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype cant connect

When I start up skype fill in the username and the password and click to login it takes a minute or two before a read mark comes out and says "Skype cant connect". I only have that problem on my computer, on my laptop skype works fine.

I tried to reinstall skype 5 times by now. Looked in the support section but noone seemed to have the same problem as I do.

Please if someone had this problem before and did fixed it, comment :happy:

This widget could not be displayed.
bezambartbjorsh
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

The problem has been solved thx for posting.

I had an expired version of McAfee which I didnt pay attention at first but it seemed to be blocking skype from connecting.

View solution in original post
bezambartbjorsh
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 34 (7,796 Views)

Re: Skype cant connect

What Firewall and Antivirus applications are installed on your computer?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6013
Message 2 of 34 (7,776 Views)

AVG firewall and antivirus. But skype is accepted and I even tried to shut firewall off didnt help either. Btw skype has been working fine its just this problem occured like 5 days ago after doing a payment for skype credits.

bezambartbjorsh
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 34 (7,771 Views)

The problem has been solved thx for posting.

I had an expired version of McAfee which I didnt pay attention at first but it seemed to be blocking skype from connecting.

bezambartbjorsh
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 34 (7,763 Views)

Yes!  I'm having the exact same problem, but with no laptop option.  :sad:  I just had knee surgery, and Skype is my only contact with my fiance in Afghanistan and my daughter in Egypt.  :sad:  Had the surgery done in MD (currently live in SD), now in Severna Park, at my brother's.  With his permission, I downloaded Skype to his PC.  It took a few tries.  But now it "can't connect".  There is indication after your blog that the problem has been resolved, but when I click on it, no resolution appears.  Would LOVE some pointers.  Not very computerific, and am on pain meds, lol!

NurseKelly2000
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 34 (7,070 Views)

I keep getting the message "Sky cannot connect" When I try to sign in.  I have changed my password and anything else advised, any answers?

ianscott15
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 34 (7,042 Views)

Hi...I had the same problem but I just fix it...For some reason firewall don't give access to skype ...So all you have to do is change it by going to your antivirus program firewall settings internet connections for programs and fix it from there by giving a full access to skype...

If you to lazy to do all that just turn the firewall off and try to log in to skype!

I hope it works for you!

efklidis_1
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 34 (6,989 Views)

I have the same problem and i have taken off the McAfee security and took SKYPE off of the firewall as well.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and restarted my computer and it still will not connect.  I am at a lose.   Can anyone help?

karenandmikayla
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 34 (6,904 Views)

Are you sure you done what I said ..??

I have the same antivirus as you do.Turn off the firewall ,restart your PC.. When you get back on check if the firewall is still off then try to get on skype...

Get on antivirus click on firewall-settings-internet connections for programs-find skype check careful its more than 1 skype names 2 at the end and 1 in the middle...(IM sure its says block... Click on it and get to edit... Click on block and then put full)click done and close it) it must work after 5 min!if not well there is not much I can say!atlist I try!good luck

efklidis_1
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 34 (6,591 Views)

I have Skype version 5.10.0.115.  It does not seem to be active as lower toolbar icon shows it continually trying to connect.  This just started.  Any ideas as to the problem?

ryanjr16
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 34 (6,404 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling