Skype cannot be installed Error 1603 Cannot Remove...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype cannot be installed Error 1603 Cannot Remove Skype 6.3

[ Edited ]

Cannot install skype. skype 5.2 was removed months ago for personal reasons using the built in uninstaller. I tried to reinstall the latest edition but it says "The older version of Skype 6.3 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group" then Error 1603 appears.

First there has not been a version 6.3 on this machine so there is strike 1

Second I have followed the directions on this forum and ran the MSICUU utility which finds no Skype installed.

I searched the registry for both Skype and Skype.msi and found nothing

I have searched the PC with hidden files and system files exposed for Skype, Skype.msi. Nothing found

I have run the MS Fixit all for me tool and still errors out. I have downloaded the full install to another pc, transfered to flash drive and transfered to desktop of affected machine and you guessed it Error out. I have scanned for malware using malwarebytes, superantispyware, AVG, Eset, ect. no malware or viruses. I have done a repair install of Windows 7 64bit sp1 and repaired dotnet framework. all windows updates are in.

I just dont get it. 6.3 was NEVER on this machine. NEVER EVER. The closest it has gone is to ask about installin BING Toolbar (um... no) and set MSN as homepage (again .. um... no)

any Ideas out there?????

Edit:

No Antivirus installed,

This widget could not be displayed.
Mohavepc
Casual Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Well the only solution that has "Partially" worked is to use the "Portable" version. I had to set it to run in Vista compatability mode (no I dont know why) for it to run but now it up. Funny thing is after the repair install of windows I did all the update, installed Antivirus, reloaded and authorized Itunes. no issues. Only issue is with Skype. Looks like this "Cannot remove version 6.3" is a general failure not a specific error code. (poor coding). Good luck to anyone with this issue. Check you Hard drive permissions and use the portable app. :sad:

View solution in original post
Mohavepc
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (4,955 Views)

Re: Skype cannot be installed Error 1603 Cannot Remove Skype 6.3

I have exactly the same problem!!

I contacted live help and they told me it is a "Windows Installer" problem

THey gave me these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953691

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

I still haven't been able to fix the problem

philleire
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 11 (4,918 Views)

I've been always able to fix these types of problems by manually editing my Windows Registry.  Usually some remnants are still there causing this problem to pop up.  Error 1603 can occur for several reasons.  This can happen with any program on your computer that uses the windows installer.  I'm not sure what Microsoft Fixit utilities you have tried, but the below will probably be the most helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1253
Message 3 of 11 (4,904 Views)

[ Edited ]

techfreak wrote:

I've been always able to fix these types of problems by manually editing my Windows Registry.  Usually some remnants are still there causing this problem to pop up.  Error 1603 can occur for several reasons.  This can happen with any program on your computer that uses the windows installer.  I'm not sure what Microsoft Fixit utilities you have tried, but the below will probably be the most helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

"I searched the registry for both Skype and Skype.msi and found nothing"

That "uninstaller" is usefull under the assumtion that Skype was or partly still installed, I find no mention of Skype in its uninstall list.

Edit: I also cannot find the 36 digit "Product code" it asks for in order to help. This is a bunch of BS. Thanks for NOTHING Microsoft.

Mohavepc
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 11 (4,894 Views)

I must say I am not totaly suprised at this but Skype used to work pretty **bleep** good. I see all the errors and issues since MS took over. Wow
Mohavepc
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (4,883 Views)

I found a solution earlier to the error code 1603

http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-17478-windows-installer-cleanup-utility

Firstly I was getting the error code 1603 because of Skype 4.1 (Linux) and that came through when I dowmloaded Unbuntu ... So I deleted all those files.

I then deleted all the Skype 5.5 files and anything else that looked like skype ... but was still get the same error message (although this one was related to Skype 6.3)

After installing and running the above software Skype 5.5 came up. I deleted that entry and the problem was solved ... (I was able to install skype and had it up and running in minutes).

I hope this works as an alternative if the other solutions don't.

Phill

philleire
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 11 (4,880 Views)

Well the only solution that has "Partially" worked is to use the "Portable" version. I had to set it to run in Vista compatability mode (no I dont know why) for it to run but now it up. Funny thing is after the repair install of windows I did all the update, installed Antivirus, reloaded and authorized Itunes. no issues. Only issue is with Skype. Looks like this "Cannot remove version 6.3" is a general failure not a specific error code. (poor coding). Good luck to anyone with this issue. Check you Hard drive permissions and use the portable app. :sad:

Mohavepc
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 11 (4,868 Views)

my mobile is nokia c5-00 skype seting is problam pls cannoct skype my skype sever is a problem
Posted from Opera Opera for Series 60
nokiac5
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 11 (4,509 Views)

Error 1603 installing Skype 6.3 (Win7 64bit in my case)

[ Edited ]

I got it to install (SkypeInstallFull.exe for Skype 5.3.59.105) by:

going to the folder/directory: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Skype

deleting shared.xml

(I also delered shared.lck, but the hint I was reading did not mention that)

Previously, I could install Skype 4.0 and 5.1 without error, but not the new Skype 6.3. (error 1603)

I had a hunch it was trying to delete something that was not there... but I guess I was wrong.

Erbid

Erbid
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (3,657 Views)

Re: Error 1603 installing Skype 6.3 (Win7 64bit in my case)

The error arises because of a corrupt msi file. So first and foremost try and reinstall skype and see if it helps. If not then open C:\Program\Skype\{EE7257A2-39A2-4D2F-9DAC-F9F25B8AE1D8}. Find the msi file and make a back up copy of it. Rename the file to SkypeSetup_5.10.0.116.msi and copy it. Reinstall skype and it should solve the issue.

Visit this link if you have trouble with the steps - http://www.techyv.com/questions/fatal-error-1603-during-skype-installation

joyce_meghan
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (3,083 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling