Skype can't access my sound card.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype can't access my sound card.

I have been scouring the forums for an answer to this problem, but can not find any solution that works for me, so I figured I would try and get my own personalised solution. I have been using SKype for ages, recently got a new computer, which I have been using Skype on. Then out of no where I got this error when I called my friend "Skype can't access your sound card." I have no idea why. What happens is I can call my friend, he will answer, I can hear him for about 1 second, then he cuts out, but he can not hear me during this time. When this happens, Skype then tells me he is calling me, which he isn't. It's rather strange.
There are only three changes to my computer that have happened since this error, and they would be: 
I got a new monitor.
I installed The Sims 2 (Which I have since unistalled, to know success.)
I have a Windows Update Error, for a recent update. ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533523) - That's the update.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I can provide more information as it is needed, thanks in advance. 

yuccakev
Novel Tourist

Accepted Solution

just fixed same problem on my thinkpad running windows 7. right click on your volume icon and access playback devices. select category (in my case-speakers) then properties. select advanced then uncheck "Give exclusive mode applications priority" while making sure "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is checked. i hit apply and all of the sudden skype can now access my sound card.

View solution in original post
Jtec77
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 57 (24,267 Views)

Re: Skype can't access my sound card.

If your Microsoft .NET Framework 4 installation is corrupted, then this might be the reason for the problems. Maybe you should try to reinstall this package.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5038
Message 2 of 57 (24,241 Views)

When I tried to re-install that, I get an error that says, "Setup installer has stopped working".
I thought that might have been because .NET framework was still on my computer, so I used a clean-up tool to remove it, with the hope of re-installing it, brand new.
SO I uninstalled .NET Framework 4 AND 1.1.
I still get the same error and nothing is fixed.
So I am exactly where I was, except without .NET Framework. 

Jtec77
Reliable Adventurer
Message 3 of 57 (24,231 Views)

I REALLY need an answer...
Also, does .NET Framework have to do with being able to save pictures from the internet to the folders like "My Documents" or "My Pictures", because I can no longer do that. Just to the "My" folders though. I can save them else where on the computer. 

Jtec77
Reliable Adventurer
Message 4 of 57 (24,207 Views)

have you tried to run Windows Update?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 57 (24,197 Views)

Yep, same error.

Jtec77
Reliable Adventurer
Message 6 of 57 (24,179 Views)

I thought I should elaborate, the error Windows Update gives me is:
Error(s) found:
Code1  Windows update encountered an unkown error.

Jtec77
Reliable Adventurer
Message 7 of 57 (24,177 Views)

You need to run a system check on your computer. Some system files my be missing or corrupted.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 57 (24,174 Views)

I did that, as you said, and it said it found no problems.

Jtec77
Reliable Adventurer
Message 9 of 57 (24,169 Views)

Decided to do it again, just to be sure.

Jtec77
Reliable Adventurer
Message 10 of 57 (24,151 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling