Skype appears to sign in but cannot send or receiv...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype appears to sign in but cannot send or receive messages

I can not longer send or receive messages from Skype.  All contacts appear offline except for the test user.  However I can not connect to the test user.  I can connect from a different machine on the same network.  I have tried a separate user id on the same machine with the same results.

jdlstorage
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (578 Views)

Re: Skype appears to sign in but cannot send or receive messages

Hi!  the thread which link is pasted below is a compilation of the suggestions and procedures that fixed Skype related problems in many cases.  I hope that the suggestions there would also help resolve the issues in your case.

Skype Problems Troubleshooting Procedures (Windows)

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1514
Message 2 of 7 (491 Views)

I have tried the windows troubleshooting tips.  I have also done a reset of IE using the Microsoft tool with no luck.  Skype will load and appear to sign in however I can not then do anything.  cannot change status, send message, most contacts don't appear, I don't appear to other contacts, nor can I contact the Echo / Test user via call or text.

Thanks

Jim

jdlstorage
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (483 Views)

Try to reset all of the Skype settings to default values. Sometimes this can help.

Stop Skype from running on your computer (Quit or use Task manager to kill the Skype.exe process). Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %programdata% and press Enter. This will open Windows File Explorer. Locate there folder with the name Skype. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6071
Message 4 of 7 (477 Views)

I have been able to resolve my issue.

I started having issues with other software, Cisco VPN specifically.

The cause of the issue was related ICS or Internet Connection Sharing service.  The service had gotten changed from Manual to Automatic.  Resetting this back to Manual and then rebooting teh system resolved the connectivity issues.

jdlstorage
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (466 Views)

jdlstorage wrote:

I have been able to resolve my issue.

I started having issues with other software, Cisco VPN specifically.

The cause of the issue was related ICS or Internet Connection Sharing service.  The service had gotten changed from Manual to Automatic.  Resetting this back to Manual and then rebooting teh system resolved the connectivity issues.

ok.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 6 of 7 (449 Views)

Thanks, it helped!

vkotovv
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 7 (347 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling