Skype and video calls not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype and video calls not working

[ Edited ]

I still cant get skype .or send video calls .also a message comes up saying do you

trust this site Be greatfull if you can help Thanks

sparky12
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (3,937 Views)

Re: Skype and video calls not working

Are you using the latest Skype version from http://www.skype.com/download ?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11907
Message 2 of 7 (3,476 Views)

It is so great that Skype is caring for us - users - the ones they are getting money from - so very much that they are keen on answering our problems and trying to solve them.

NOT

I have tried to search several forums on this issue but never found a reply - not to mention a solution - from Skype. It turns out that everything looks quite OK, but the contact on the other side of the call can not see my camera picture - which I can. Then when I go to the bandwidth settings I see it says: "Not sending video". I think it should be working by switching it on - but there is no such possibility (!!!). Yes, the camera is working OK (I can see my pictures moving while the conversation). I have also tried to make videocalls with both a new and an old Skype account - same result. No, there is no problem on the receivers side, makes and receives video calls quite often - works with other people. Yes, most recent version of Skype, most recent version of drivers, directX, system, everything. New camera - works in other applications, in Skype setup, etc.

Sorry for fuming to myself and you - the readers of this post - but since there is no answer from Skype I have to voice my problems somehow.

Ember
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 7 (3,433 Views)

Agree - I used to both send and receive video message but since the upgrade can no longer see or call my contacts when they are on line. i can only send an SMS.

ylleir2
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 7 (3,421 Views)

ylleir2 wrote:

Agree - I used to both send and receive video message but since the upgrade can no longer see or call my contacts when they are on line. i can only send an SMS.

Before trying to isolate an issue, it's always best that one is running the latest Skype release. Which may in itself resolve the issue.

A new version has just been released September 13th, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

This new version is 5.5.0.117 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

Please see these suggestions as well:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Call-Issues-Checks/td-p/156704

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Video-Issues-Checks/td-p/156710

This is NOT a fix or solution.

Please right click on the Skype Icon in your system tray and change your status to "Offline" for 5 seconds and then back to "Online".

This forces a status update of all your contacts in your conact list as well as a update of your status without the need to logoff/logon.

Also, try making a Skype to Skype call to the person in question, is it failing?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 625
Message 5 of 7 (3,414 Views)

Video calls still not working - my contacts still appear off line when they are actually on line, as well as I appear off line on their laptop when i am also on line

ylleir2
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (3,402 Views)

[ Edited ]

ylleir2 wrote:

Video calls still not working - my contacts still appear off line when they are actually on line, as well as I appear off line on their laptop when i am also on line

This is NOT a fix or solution.

Please right click on the Skype Icon in your system tray and change your status to "Offline" for 5 seconds and then back to "Online".

This forces a status update of all your contacts in your contact list as well as a update of your status without the need to logoff/logon.

Also, if possible, call them Skype to Skype and request they do the same, while you are both online.

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 625
Message 7 of 7 (3,393 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling