Skype Keeps Freezing

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Keeps Freezing

I recently upgraded my Dell XPS M1330 to Windows 7, and everything was fine for the first week. But in the last two or three days everytime I make a Skype Video call the system locks/freezes entirely by minute 6. It locks entirely even if I've closed every single program except Skype. When I just use the chat portion it only takes up between 0-2% of my CPU, while within the first minute of a video call it rockets up above 59% and just keeps going until everything freezes.

Here are my computer Specs --

Windows 7 Home Premium w/Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel(r) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU @2.5 GHz

Memory: 4.00 GB (3.49 usable)

System: 32-bit OS

Hard Drive: 130 Gigs free of 285

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've tried fiddling with the Sound Card enable/unenable. Nothing seems to be helping. Please, help? I use this program nearly daily and it's quite important to work I do. 

wanderlustlover
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (8,280 Views)

Re: Skype Keeps Freezing

[ Edited ]

Video calls can be very CPU resource intensive, please make sure you have all Windows updates as well as any updates for any of your hardware, like sound boards, video and the like, so that you have the latest drivers for same.

Both laptops and notebooks can overheat quickly, if the fan(s) are limited to allow air to flow.

The best suggestion, when/if this is in fact the cause is to make sure that the notebook, in your case, is on a flat surface, not in your lap for example, or laying on a bedspread, that will block fan airflow. In some cases, people even purchase what's called a cooling tray that has additional fans in it to help with cooling.

It's important to note, that you have a notebook, which will become even more overheated more quickly than a laptop, when CPU busy rates start to exceed 50 percent for any length of time.

If you do a search on the internet using the search engine of your choice, there are some free tools, that will/can tell you if in fact this freezing is caused by overheating. Try the search term "free laptop temperature tool" make sure that you use one others say is good, because you don't want to install malware.

Here is what happens when a CPU in a computer starts to overheat:

1. The computer ("Motherboard") steps down the CPU ability by about 50 percent to try and force the system to "Cool Down" which is fine unless you happen to be doing something very resource intensive like Video and don't stop doing it.

2. When 1 fails to help "Cool Down" the system, the system will freeze, if it did not, it actually would be possible to cause a fire because things can get that hot, if this was not done.

So, because you are using a notebook, when/if you are in a Video call, please try and make sure that you are also not using any resource intensive applications at that same time, when./if possible.

If you follow all these steps, generally you will not need to purchase a cooling tray, however in worst case situations, after all these things are done, and the system still freezes while using video calls, that might be the only choice. If needed, almost any computer store sells these cooling trays, for both laptops and notebooks. They are not very expensive.

NOTE: Desktop systems normally don't have issues like this because the air flow is so much greater than the limited air flow and tiny fans that laptops and notebooks have, which are the root cause of system freezes like this not caused by not having current software updates.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 2 of 12 (8,277 Views)

I'll check all the device drivers now, and see if any of them need updating. But it's hardly the laptop though. I've been using this specific laptop *with* Skype for over two and half years now. I used it specifically, daily, for hours on end, when I was in Korea to talk to America.

It's why I'm so confused, that suddenly this week it's having laptop freezing problems.

wanderlustlover
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (8,271 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, there maybe new Windows 7 drivers.

I am wondering if Windows 7 now is allowing the Skype client to use better HD video for your system since you upgraded to it ("the Skype client on a system by system decides what level of video to support") and that now is what's pushing your system over the edge?

Does the bottom of your notebook feel hotter than normal?

I would still install a temp check utility as well, just to be safe, to see how hot the notebook is getting.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 4 of 12 (8,268 Views)

My system: Core i7 laptop with 8 Gb RAM and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 fully upgraded

I'll report here the solution for my own problem: Skype was freezing my computer. Not just skype froze, the entire computer was freezing when I started skype. Every one of my other programs were okay. I've tried everything, rebooting, several complete unninstals and reinstalls, downgrading, deleting every one of the 780 "skype" related registry entries, several virus scans and everything were to no good. I've decided to make a system restore and to my extremely unpleasant surprise the problem kept happening. I was considering formatting the whole machine or drop skype forever, then it occurred me that maybe it could be something physically wrong with my hardware.

Solution: I've run a chkdsk in C: (run->cmd->chkdsk /F /R).

The **bleep** thing took three whole hours but corrected a _single_ corrupted file and (only) 4Kb of it, or so it seemed. After the checkdisk the system restarted and voilà! Skype was working like a charm again. Now, what are the **bleep** odds...

WarLord
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (8,214 Views)

WarLord wrote:

Now, what are the **bleep** odds...

Very slim!  But thanks for reporting your results which may help someone else in the future.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 941
Message 6 of 12 (8,207 Views)

Help!  I have a new at-home office setup and use Skype frequently.  After about an hour on the phone, Skype freezes.  I have to shut down my system and start it back up in order for it to work.  Skype is critical to the new business and this issue is not making me look good.   Please let me know how I can fix this.

Thanks, Sherrie

sespos1
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (8,189 Views)

sespos1 wrote:

Help!  I have a new at-home office setup and use Skype frequently.  After about an hour on the phone, Skype freezes.  I have to shut down my system and start it back up in order for it to work.  Skype is critical to the new business and this issue is not making me look good.   Please let me know how I can fix this.

Thanks, Sherrie

In most cases, having the latest version of Skype as well as updated display/webcam/mic/audio drivers would most likely ensure optimum performance from the Skype client.  I also suggest that you minimize the number of running programs/process while using Skype as the overall workload of your computer might also affect Skype performance.  If you haven't tried it yet, you can considering using the current beta version to see if it will perform better in your computer.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1673
Message 8 of 12 (8,182 Views)

Thank you for your response.  I don't have a webcam  I just unpinned some programs from my taskbar...will this help?  How do I get the beta version and do you think it would work better than the latest available version of Skype?

sespos1
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (8,178 Views)

sespos1 wrote:

Thank you for your response.  I don't have a webcam  I just unpinned some programs from my taskbar...will this help?  How do I get the beta version and do you think it would work better than the latest available version of Skype?

What I mean is only when you are using Skype, try not to use or run additional programs.  You don't necessarily have to unpin programs in your taskbar.  :happy:

In case of the beta version, it seems that it's a bit better than the current version.  You can download it from the link pasted below.  If for some reason you still find the current version of Skype performs better than the beta version.  You can easily revert back to the version originally installed in your computer.  

skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/beta/

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1673
Message 10 of 12 (8,176 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling