Re: Skype Home window popping up constantly

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

There is a small program available that automatically closes the Skype Home window when it appears, then closes itself so that it doesn't take up any system resources.

I can't seem to post a link here, so go to beginnersheaven.org, click on Softwares under the Home tab.  There aren't many articles in that section so it should be easy to find the right one.

This is the solution I'm using until the Skype developers decide to stop irritating people.

Hope this helps some folks.

Carreg_Du
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 42 (1,275 Views)

It's sad that people have to waste their time developing software to fix Skype becuase the developers or executives at Skype are full of crap. There is no legitimate reason to do this, and I bet not a single Skype dev or exec even viewed these forums yet.

BrianZephyr
Casual Adventurer
Message 12 of 42 (1,267 Views)

ANNOYING!!! It's like starting your Windows or Mac and it opening a page to take you to a Microsoft products page or an Apple products page. I'll go there when I want that information. If you really want me to update my current status on here, I'd simply put. "DON'T UPGRADE YOUR SKYPE CAUSE THE NEW VERSION SUCKS AND IS ANNOYING!" Thank you...

chucky1382
Novel Tourist
Message 13 of 42 (1,240 Views)

[ Edited ]

Add my name to the growing list of annoyed users. It's a shame that it cannot be turned off in the preferences. It would seem to be such an easy thing to do. Popup Home Page - ON or OFF. Worse, should be standard for subscribers. After all, we pay for it, shouldn't we get a choice?

Having something useless forced upon you is so frustrating. Fine, I accept that we all clicked on the 'Terms of service.' when we installed Skype. But, nowhere does it say that I will put up with idiotic behaviors from the part of the developer or the marketing team.

I, personally, do not use facethingy. Don't want to and never will. So, Home page is completely useless for me. Besides which, I am not narcissistic enough to proclaim to all my friends 'Hey everybody! I'm going to the bathroom now.' on a status page.

segervais
Novel Adventurer
Message 14 of 42 (1,228 Views)

Yup, this change is intrusive and means I can't leave skype running in the background, which means people can't Skype me, which means there is no point having Skype.

Mega Fail. Thousands of people immediately demanded it be removed and Skype have failed to remove it weeks later. The fix is to remove one line of code, which would take about 10 seconds, plus maybe a day or so to test and release it.

As a result Skype has lost huge market share and there is little point to running it as most people now only fire it up if you phone them first to arrange it, which removed 90% of the point of running it. The popup removed the other 10%.

Skype'll go the same way as MSN. Mayby Microsoft is trying to become the new Yahoo, and be top company in the buying companies and killing them space. Or maybe, it was some crazy Trading Places style bet between Balmer and Gates: "I bet you one dollar that we can buy a successful market leading company like Skype, and turn it into a basket case has been like MySpace...".

It's not good business anyway. I don't know how much they paid for Skype but this one little line of code, has burned that investment, and eliminated the possibilty of making a profit out of it by alienating it's user base and decimating it's market share. My understanding was that it was tested in a Beta and universily rejected by all testers, so they knew it would destroy the product's popularity. I will be surprised if any private investors don't sue.

MJLangley
Novel Adventurer
Message 15 of 42 (1,218 Views)

Being thoroughly annoyed by the Home window, I tried to use the "Give feedback" mechanism under the Help menu in Skype.  You get a window with a form to fill out and then click Submit, only to get an error that I "appear to not have a connection"; but, of course, I am actually logged in to Skype.  How stupid!

I guess that's the strategy - do things that you know are so offensive that your customers will complain, and then turn off any mechanism for them to provide feedback, leaving us nothing but this forum to complain among ourselves as it is "unsupported" and "not monitored".

So, I offer this open letter to Skype.

Dear Skype,

**bleep** you.

Warm regards,

Greg

Gregory
Casual Adventurer
Message 16 of 42 (1,218 Views)

I should add, to avoid confusion. It's not just when Skype starts, it happens periodically as well, sometimes when you are in the middle of typing something, so it really impacts on your use of your PC.

It's very bad practice. It's basically adware, which is is universally recognised as a form of malware.

MJLangley
Novel Adventurer
Message 17 of 42 (1,215 Views)

There's something odd about the home page screen..

I have here two computers, both running Windows 7, both with Skype 5.3.0.120

Computer 1 pops up the home screen :mad: everytime I login.

Computer 2 never has as yet.

Both systems are now fairly fresh installs, no previous versions of Skype present.

So why does the homescreen only appear on one computer? Has there been some sort of 'turn on' message sent from skype that the other PC has missed?

Either way, its **bleep** annoying that Skype have the audacity to think they they throw up unwanted windows, looks like I'll have to find a pop up blocker for it or change to another service if this is their game.

Snatch
Novel Adventurer
Message 18 of 42 (1,195 Views)

That is strange.

The Skype Home window never popped up on my system until the other day.  I haven't recently updated so I don't know what caused the change.  It only pops up when Skype starts, too, so while the little program that closes it immediately is useful for me, I sympathise with those people who get the pop-ups regularly while Skype is running.  That would drive me crazy.

Unfortunately, though keeping the little program running would close the window when it pops up, it wouldn't stop it happening and interrupting what you're doing.

The real solution is obviously with the Skype developers, who don't seem to care how much they annoy users of their software.

Carreg_Du
Novel Adventurer
Message 19 of 42 (1,177 Views)

Add me to the list. This annoying popup has started only recently. It is happening at random intervals on both my computers, as well as when bringing the machines back from hibernation. I can't find an option in Skype to stop it happening - it never used to.
Roger_Sawkins
Tourist
Message 20 of 42 (1,168 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling