Skype Home - I can't get rid of it!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Home - I can't get rid of it!

Since yesterday Skype started opening this stupid "Skype Home" window whenever I do something Skype related.

I close it and the **bleep** thing just opens again with what ever was behind it at the time showing in the main window - but it will not close normally once reopened.  If I try to "end-task" on the window it crashes my Skype. 

I've found if I hit the Skype "home" icon it fixes the pop-up and I can close it properly, but the f**king thing just keeps reopening.

I know who my contacts are and I see the notifications for updates I don't need some stupid pop-up covering half my **bleep** screen every few minutes to remind me.

Can someone please smack the moron who came up with this idea, take the project off them and get rid of this stupid window - NOW!!!

trader1
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (4,312 Views)

Re: Skype Home - I can't get rid of it!

there are ongoing discussions regarding the Skype Home window, and several workarounds are suggested including the option to temporarily switch to an earlier version of Skype.

moreover, please visit the link below to see how to download and earlier Skype version;

http://community.skype.com/t5/Welcome-Getting-Started/How-to-Download-an-Earlier-Version-of-Skype/td...

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1304
Message 2 of 9 (4,061 Views)

Thanks Primemover, I hope they fix this soon. Not only is it a stupid feature, it doesn't work properly. I continually opens on top of my work and won't close properly. I cannot understand why anyone would want this. Like removing the ability to ring the speaker on incoming calls when headphone are plugged in. Why would you remove such a useful feature. It's like Skype don't even use their own product.
trader1
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (4,055 Views)

Whilst I appreciate your help and the workaround to download an earlier version, this is simply not acceptable. What is acceptable is an option to not show the Home window on startup. Just do it! No need to discuss this, really...

sc0f13ld
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (4,048 Views)

sc0f13ld wrote:

Whilst I appreciate your help and the workaround to download an earlier version, this is simply not acceptable. What is acceptable is an option to not show the Home window on startup. Just do it! No need to discuss this, really...

actually, I think everyone who is not a fan of the Skype Home window, including myself, wishes the same thing.

you can check the bloody discussions here if you want to;  :happy:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Disabling-Skype-Home-autostart/td-p/46260

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1304
Message 5 of 9 (4,041 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is no designated feature in versions 5.5.0.112 and 113 to resolve this issue. At present, there are 2 options under discussion:

1. Revert to an old version like 5.3.0.120, which does not have the unwanted issue, but has several security issues unresolved.

community.skype.com/t5/Welcome-Getting-Started/How-to-Download-an-Earlier-Version-of-Skype/td-p/61866

2. Keep the most recent and most secure version, but apply some temporary workaround of the kind discussed in

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/I-want-Skype-minimized-on-startup/m-p/46984#M5135

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/How-not-to-open-Skype-window-during-startup/m-p/72546#M7748

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 605
Message 6 of 9 (4,036 Views)

[ Edited ]

sc0f13ld wrote:

Please also see this where you can ask for a change:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/Skype-5-5-0-110-Home-screen-displaying-on-every-startup/m-p/754...

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 694
Message 7 of 9 (4,024 Views)

[ Edited ]

@trader1

hey, not true about the speakers...
I use a headsets mic to talk and speakers to hear when I call someone.

vgamesx1
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (3,915 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mac User.  I reverted to Skype 2.8 to get rid of [edited for inappropriate language] home page.

And I am happy.  Simple, clean design.  Much better than awful blue large screens.

erina29jacka26
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 9 (2,065 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling