Skype Freezing/Freezes on Reinstallation Too

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Freezing/Freezes on Reinstallation Too

Skype was working perfect for me last week. I tried to start it up tonight and it was freezing my computer and making other programs nonresponsive. Also, Skype never actually popped up for me, but showed it was running in the Task Manager.

I uninstalled it and tried putting it back in, but when I click to install it freezes and never lets the installation begin. Again, my other programs become unresponsive for several minutes.

Anyone know what has happened? I have Windows 7, 64 bit.

In my other life, I'm actually a Jedi.
zombierose3
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (186 Views)

Re: Skype Freezing/Freezes on Reinstallation Too

First make sure that your system is not running in “Debug mod”.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-crashes-my-computer-when-trying-to-log-on/m-p/766058#M57...

Also, open Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events and look for any recent error messages with timestamp corresponding to Skype crash. You may copy and paste here the text from the General tab.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6971
Message 2 of 7 (174 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks. I tried the event viewer. I don't see it listed at all. The last Skype reporting in there is listed nearly two months ago. I see a TON of errors for user profile and some registry leaking?

Also, my anti-virus found a trojan inside the Messenger Plus for Skype. It rolled back my registry after finding it. I also removed that program. Skype is completely removed.

I tried reinstalling Skype, but it won't even open the installation still. It freezes my computer, but after I force it to close, because it somehow shows up in the Processes in Task Manager, things run again.

It also forced my computer to restart one time even though I kept telling it no. I don't know what it is, but it's connected only to trying to start the installation of Skype. I wish I could find you a log, but it's not showing in that place under Skype.

zombierose3
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (166 Views)

You may look for any new error messages appearing after Skype crash.

You can also try to reset all local Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 7 (161 Views)

Okay, I would try that again, but I think you misread what I wrote. Skype is not in my computer at all anymore and it will not let it go back in. So I have no folder for it. I have the setup file, but that won't start. It shows it's trying in the Processes, but does not open anywhere where I can see it or do anything and I just have to force it to close for my computer to unfreeze. I guess I will just give up. Thank you for your help.

zombierose3
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (157 Views)

Just be aware that when deleting Skype program from your computer the %appdata%\skype folder is not deleted per default.

You may also try with this msi-installer for the latest 6.0.0.120 version.

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.0.0.120.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 7 (154 Views)

Okay. I went and found the folder through the appdata and did what you said. Skype's install still wouldn't come up for me and after five minutes I killed it in the processes. I'll try you link now. Thank you. :happy:

zombierose3
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 7 (151 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling