Skype Crashes wireless ability of router

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Crashes wireless ability of router

I can't give you the exact stats of everything as I am not home where the problem is but I know it's a linksys router and an HP laptop with 32bit Vista as well as the latest version of Skype.

It seems like when my wife starts up skype it gives the "Skype has encountered an error and must close." message.

As soon as that message appears my wife loses the ability to see our wireless network.  She can see other wireless networks so I know it's not her adapter and the things that are hardwired into the router work fine so it's not a complete crash of the router.  It's just the devices that use the wireless signal from the router that stop working (a Nintendo Wii, a PS3 and a desktop computer).  So it seems like Skype occasionally "breaks" the wireless ability of my router and it takes a reset of the router to get it to work for a while.

Any ideas on a fix for this?  Does it have to do with the UPnP?  What is that anyway?

Please use plain text.
draconic_path
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (3,532 Views)

Re: Skype Crashes wireless ability of router

I suggest your wife make sure that she has the latest version of Skype, 5.8.0.154, installed.  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.    She can download the installer via this link:

http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

Once running v5.8, she should click on Tools > Options > Advanced settings > Connection, uncheck all the boxes, and save the settings.   uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) could be causing the problem with the Internet connection.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Please use plain text.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 846
Message 2 of 7 (3,397 Views)

I have the same problem - I have the latest version of Skype and every time i install it my internet wireless connection stops working. If I disinstall it, internet starts working again. It is a real nightmare, can you help pleeease?

Please use plain text.
NordKappp
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (3,319 Views)

Click on Help > About Skype.  What version does it show you have?  If it's other than 5.8.0.154, use this link to download the full installer to update:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

If the problem persists, click on Tools > Options > Advanced settings > Connection.  Uncheck all boxes, save the change, and restart Skype.

See if that corrects the problem.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Please use plain text.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 846
Message 4 of 7 (3,313 Views)

I have the same problem with one Windows 7 Notebook and two Kubuntu Notebooks and a Vodafone EsayBox router. Meanwhile I upgraded both Linux distributions and changed to another internet provider using another router from Trendnet. The problem still exists.

In my case I encounter sporadic loss of all local and internet connections on all connected computers, my game console and Bluray Player. All show that the WLAn interface is connected, but I cannot connect to any IP address. All devices are always affected almost simultaneously. When I notice broken connection on one computer, the others have a very slow connection, and a few seconds later the whole WLAN stops working.

I always had to manually reset the Vodafone EasyBox. My TrendNet Router reboots itself after a while.

The most interesting thing is: Since I stopped runnign Skype, the problem did nnot occur anymore. Previously, the problem occured several times each day, but now I have no problems anymore since 4 days - since I removed Skype from the autostart group.

Please use plain text.
sfrings1
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (2,667 Views)

I also had broken Bluetooth connection with my wireless mouse a fet times every day. Now since I do not use Skype anymore, my mouse works fine.

Please use plain text.
sfrings1
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (2,664 Views)

I have precisely the same issue.  Skype brings down my wireless router, a Belkin N, I think with IP conflicts.  It brings the whole network down - no wireless connections work until I reset the router. I am currently running skype version 6.0.59.2968 on a MacBook Air.  If I turn off skype, there is no problem.  I am also running the current version of skype on a windows 7 box, and a Mint linux distribution, on the same wireless router with no such problem.  I spend most of the day on a wireless network at work, and have no such problems.  Very odd (and annoying).

Please use plain text.
billjone
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (1,595 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling