Skype Continuously Crashing on Startup

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype Continuously Crashing on Startup

Hello... I just received a brand new computer running Windows 7 64 bit. Skype is one of the first programs I installed on it, and it simply will not work. It crashes almost immediately after starting up the program with the following crash problem details:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: Skype.exe
Application Version: 5.7.0.123
Application Timestamp: 4eba90b3
Fault Module Name: StackHash_e98d
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 23222120
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e98d
Additional Information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
Additional Information 3: 6eab
Additional Information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried everything suggested for crash problems on this site and anything else I can find on the web, and it still exhibits the exact same behavior no matter what I do.

Note that the Skypw window never even comes up. It does not get to that point. It simply errors out as it tries to get things started.

Please help me out if you have any ideas as to the problem. Skype is a critical component to my everyday work, and I am at a major loss without it.

Thanks Much...

Crank
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 56 (999 Views)

Re: Skype Continuously Crashing on Startup

Most likely reason for this error message is a conflict with one of the device drivers. This can be audio driver, video driver or even webcam driver. Have you tried to see if updates are available for these devices? It’s best to look for updates on manufacturer site of these devices.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6957
Message 2 of 56 (873 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply, bbut unfortunately yes. I tried all that. Every driver is updated to the latest version.

I also tried disabling devices that may be conflicting... such as my Xonar DX audio card and the NVidia HD audio drivers.

It just keeps exhibiting the exact same behavior.

Do you have any other ideas?

Crank
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 56 (861 Views)

Actually, Xonar audio driver was known to cause problems with Skype. See this:

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-1967?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-...

If you have disabled Xonar DX audio card, then what audio device your Skype was using? Skype cannot function without an active audio device.

In any case, you can also try to reset all Skype settings and see if this makes any difference.

Quit Skype or use Windows task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type %appdata%, press Enter. The Windows File Explorer will popup. Locate there a folder with the name Skype. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6957
Message 4 of 56 (851 Views)

Thanks again... but still no luck.

I tried turning off GX on the Xonar card as had been successful for others, but this made no difference.

Also tried as you suggested with the settings folder and still... same thing.

I even did a complete uninstall and reinstall of the latest version (not beta)... same thing.

I disabled the sound card to see if it would make any difference... at least get to the point where the Skype window would open, but again, same crash probl;em on startup.

I'm starting to become convinced that this is something other than the sound card. This machine is heavily equipped... here are its stats. could anything here be causing the problem?

Manufacturer:     Maingear

CPU:                  2 x 16 core AMD Opteron 6282 SE 2.6 GHz (brand new bulldozer chipset)

Graphics:            NVidia Quadro 6000

Audio:                ASUS Xonar DX

Memory:             128 Gb

Let me know what you think. I am starting to reach the end of my rope on this one... very frustrating.

Thanks again.

Crank
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 56 (829 Views)

Please see this:

Why does Skype crash on my computer?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6470
Message 6 of 56 (818 Views)

Right. Thanks. I tried each one of those potential fixes previously with no effect whatsoever.

Is there anything else I can try?

Crank
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 56 (815 Views)

[ Edited ]

See This:

Skype Problems Troublesho​oting Procedures (Windows)

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 56 (798 Views)

I am having similar problems.  Skype worked in the past.  I logged on recently and outgoing video failed - very odd, because camera works.  I logged off and logged back on - then Skype would not even start.  I have not changed hardware.

I have tried the list of things above - Windows is up to date, DirectX is the latest version, old Skype uninstalled, new Skype downloaded and installed.  It never runs - at the end of install I get an error message when it tries to run with the following details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Skype.exe

Application Version: 5.5.0.124

Application Timestamp: 4e96a02b

Fault Module Name: Skype.exe

Fault Module Version: 5.5.0.124

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e96a02b

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 001dae87

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 4105

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Any ideas ?

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays

gfrosst
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 56 (789 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please see this:

How do I delete my shared.xml file?

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 10 of 56 (782 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling